Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

3 Ton Half Track Project

Article about: On this thread I intend to show the restoration of the parts I have and anymore I collect in the future. Have still not decided which direction to take, SdKfz 251 or SdKfz 11, that is why at

Keep up the good work my friend

Do you have any "other" parts on the way?

None in the post at the moment, but I am working on getting a few pieces. Just need to get prices and shipping costs from Germany and Russia and decide whether the cost is too much or not.

Had an early Christmas present yesterday, a piece of armour plate that is fixed underneath the chassis by the side of the engine, see picture. This came from Germany, 76 years ago and yesterday. The parts I was hoping for from Russia did not happen, the person did not seem trustworthy.

Also have managed to get some work done on parts for the armour plate under the rear doors, brackets are now in red primer, all but one, which I have to make and weld on new sections.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Great pictures my friend, just love the restoration of any thing WW2.

Have finished restoring the armour plate that goes under the rear doors. Had to replace part of the smaller, of the two larger angle brackets, as it was split and the bolt holes had rotted away. Just need to find the correct steckdose, electrical socket to complete it.

Today I decided to find out how much of the end side armour I have, was missing from the top.

So I bolted the newly restored under door armour to the side piece, which is slightly bent and missing some small sections, and loosely put in place the one door I have. The door is not the correct one for this side, but the hinge mounting holes are the same distance from each end. The attached pictures show all the parts in place.

Have taken measurements from scale drawings, the top of the armour plate is missing 2.5cm, so now I need to buy some 8mm steel. 8mm being the thickness of the armour plate.

The parts collection continues.

Had a couple of deliveries at the weekend. Another rear door, the same side as the one I already have, but it can be reversed for the other side, with a change of fittings, and a large section of armour plate. The armour plate is the top pieces for the side I already have and a large section of top side sloping armour. See attached pictures.

The last picture shows where the large section of armour plate is located. Also need to find out what is mounted on the brackets on the inside.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

I bet that armour plate is heavy...

Yes it is heavy for one person.

Not much lighter when there are two people to carry it.

Things have been a bit slow since the last update.

But in the last few weeks have managed to buy another couple of pieces of armour plate. One is the last plates that goes under the rear of the vehicle and the other a side piece just behind the driving compartment, also bought a brake lever, see pictures.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Have also started on restoring and rebuilding the rear doors. One was slightly bent and has gone away to be straightened, also I removed the door handle pivot as it was broken and on the wrong side for my needs. I machined up a new one on a lathe and will be welded on when the door comes back. Machined up some special bolts, made from standard ones, and made spacers plates for the door hinges, have restored one, another three to go. I am now attempting to make a new door handle and locking bars for the second door, by copying an original I have from the first door, minus a couple of parts. Early stages at the moment.

Hope I have not been too boring.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 Ton Half Track Project   3 Ton Half Track Project  

3 Ton Half Track Project   3 Ton Half Track Project  

3 Ton Half Track Project  

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast