Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

3 Ton Half Track Project

Article about: On this thread I intend to show the restoration of the parts I have and anymore I collect in the future. Have still not decided which direction to take, SdKfz 251 or SdKfz 11, that is why at

Slowly, slowly, piece by piece ....... good one !!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Not much has been happening over the summer due to one thing or another and the very hot weather. But I have managed to get one of the rear doors restored and it is now in red primer. I have also been making some repro. parts for the other, no picture sorry, which is still with a friend who is having it straightened for me. Still need a couple of springs for the door mechanism.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

First of all I found a couple of springs for the Sd.Kfz. 251/D rear doors, not an exact match, but they work with a minor modification. Also hope to have the other door back soon from the friend who was getting it straightened for me.

Have also just bought another small piece of armour plate. This piece has a rectangular bracket attached, and after checking my reference books, I think it is from a mittlerer Flammpanzerwagen (Sd.Kfz.251/16 Ausf D). See pictures, bracket circled in red.

The piece I have is the opposite side to the one shown in the pictures. If anyone has better pictures I would like to see them please.

Thanks to Panzer Tracts No.15-3 for providing the pictures.3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Have now got the other rear door back from my friend. He was unable to straighten it as when heating up the hardened steel it began to make cracking noises. He fought it best not to proceed as he did not want to crack it in half. Will have to live with the small bend.

On a positive note he did weld up the holes, which I have now ground flat. The next step is to weld on a new pivot for the handle in the next couple of weeks and to start to restore the door handle parts and hinges.

Also in the last couple of months I have acquired a part of the steering mechanism and a joining plate for the bottom armour. This needs to be straightened. It joins the front belly section to the section underneath the cabin, see last picture.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Very happy for you

Today I managed to weld on the pivot for the door handle. My welding is not great, but it seems to have worked out OK. Used some threaded rod, of the right diameter, to keep the pivot in place when welding. Now to restore the rest of the door and handle mechanism.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

Sd.Kfz. 251/D door. This week have managed to remove all the old paint and rust from both sides, now in red primer. Whilst removing the rust found the following numbers on the door, 333, 356 and 3321. I would think one of these must be a part number and one of the others a manufactures code.

If anyone with more knowledge than me knows the answer, please let me know.

Not much has been happening since the last update, other things have slowed the door project down. Still hope to have the second door finished before the end of the Summer.

On a positive note I have managed to acquire the complete armour section, with MG42 mount spigot, that is above the rear doors. One end is bent right at the end, which will need a lot of heat and beating/pressing, but that is for the future.

Pictures attached, last one shows where the armour is located.

3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project3 Ton Half Track Project

It has been a busy last 10 days in which I managed to get the second rear door finished. Both are now in red primer and I hope that in the next few weeks to get a coat of sand paint on them, weather permitting.

3 Ton Half Track Project

Over the last week I have managed to get the doors painted in sand, they have not come out to bad.

The second picture shows the outside, the doors are upside down and switched over for ease of painting certain areas. I am thinking about adding adding markings to make them more interesting, that's for another post if I do.

The plate at the bottom in the second picture is a joining plate for the belly armour.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast