Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

My Tiger I Relic collection

Article about: Ever since I was a little kid I’ve been fascinated by the infamous Tiger I. Right around the time when I was in the 2nd grade or so me and father watched the great movie Kelly’s Hero’s

I've always wanted one of the big bolts from the Mighty Sturmmörser, the ones on the side, (holding the upper structure to the hull).

Now, they would be very big..

Another great "find" my friend, I wonder what other "big" parts he has for sale?
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 05-07-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    I've always wanted one of the big bolts from the Mighty Sturmmörser, the ones on the side, (holding the upper structure to the hull).

Now, they would be very big..

Another great "find" my friend, I wonder whay "big" parts he has?
    Thanks!

Currently this seller has a pretty large fragment for sale. He claims its a fragment of armor from the top of the turret. I've studied a good deal of turret photographs, and I just can't seem to match this part to an area of the turret. The shipping alone to the U.S. from across the Atlantic is $200, so I doubt I'll get it. But it has certainly caught my attention. I'm pretty curious as to where the part belongs.

My Tiger I Relic collection

Turret top was 20mm wasn't it?
    That buckled section on the right doesnt look to me like how 2cm face hardened steel would behave.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Turret top was 20mm wasn't it?
    That buckled section on the right doesnt look to me like how 2cm face hardened steel would behave.
    I thought that area of the piece was odd too. I assumed it was made that way, but it didn't even cross my mind it was actually buckled. I may try to message the seller and see how he came up with his conclusion. He's been very kind/helpful so far, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

Its just how it looks to me .... a side view may tell if its a buckle or a shear fracture. ( and to gauge its thickness because for that size in 20mm it should weigh 40 pounds or so)

Its just how it looks to me .... a side view may tell if its a buckle or a shear fracture. ( and to gauge its thickness because for that size in 20mm it should weigh 40 pounds or so)
    Here's a link to the listing if you're curious. There isn't a great photo of that section, but judging from the reverse shot it looks like it was made that way. I went ahead and messaged the seller to see what he has to say. Hopefully by tomorrow he'll respond and give me some type of answer.

Super Rare WW2 German Relic Panzer VI Tiger Tank Turret Top Armour Part - PAINT! | eBay

Ok, the listing has photos that show its 2cm thick and the seller states its 20kg so thats good. Also i dont think it is buckled, just cracked which again is good for armor plate.
    If his source is reliable, then why not?.....but would be nice to locate it's positon on the turret.

Ok, the listing has photos that show its 2cm thick and the seller states its 20kg so thats good. Also i dont think it is buckled, just cracked which again is good for armor plate.
    If his source is reliable, then why not?.....but would be nice to locate it's positon on the turret.
    The seller responded to my question this morning. He's basing his assumption on the thickness and weight. He told me he tried to research the turret location briefly, but couldn't find anything. He stated there were so many small differences with each model Tiger 1 'Early/Middle/Late production' that it can be hard to research parts of armor like this. I agree with his statement too. Although being all Tiger 1s, each production phase had a good assortment of small changes made to it.

I too, have seen this "plate" and I can't (in my mind) place the whereabouts on the turret, this would have been from?

But, you just have to follow your gut instincts..

The last batch of tiger 1 relics I bought arrived in the mail a few days ago. I’m currently cleaning each part throughly due to how rusty they are. So far I’ve cleaned the large armored bolt. After soaking it in a rust removing solution it cleaned up nicely. All that’s left is to primer and paint this part now.

Here are some before and after photos

My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast