Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

My Tiger I Relic collection

Article about: Ever since I was a little kid I’ve been fascinated by the infamous Tiger I. Right around the time when I was in the 2nd grade or so me and father watched the great movie Kelly’s Hero’s

Just got a cracker Panzer piece, sadly not a Tiger but..

It's very heavy.. and it gives a nasty sting..
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 09-20-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Can you describe it to us?

Hi Luftwaffe 1941. Beautiful pieces there, and impressive identification skills too. I agree that a more natural and weathered look is an improvement. I don't know if you have tried boiled linseed oil. When all rust has been removed eg blasting or electrolysis, if you coat steel with a layer (by brush) of boiled linseed oil it prevents rust, and leaves all natural detail and colour visible. It doesn't dry glossy like varnish and after a short time it isn't even noticeable that a coating of anything has been applied. Leaving a lovely natural authentic appearance. I have only recently come across this and since application to many steel relics I'm really pleased and impressed with the outcome. Now I will have to go over many items in my collection to repeat the process. Since I don't like to paint over artefacts I have tried various methods of preservation with an aim of a natural look. Unfortunately, these haven't all worked long term and some of my pieces are slowly degrading. I feel pretty confident that this is exactly what I should have done from the beginning. Its also very cheap, and no, I do not own shares in a linseed oil company ;-)
    Just a note of caution for anyone using B.L.O. If you decide to wipe off excess oil with rag or similar, (after application) bare in mind that boiled linseed oil on certain cloths is very volatile and can very easily ignite. I have heard from somewhere of 'spontaneous ignition' with this but I cannot vouch for that myself. Any info on this greatly appreciated..... just out of curiosity.
    Kind regards, Francis

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    Just got a cracker Panzer piece, sadly not a Tiger but..

And it's very heavy..
    I would love to see it!

Quote by francis View Post
    Hi Luftwaffe 1941. Beautiful pieces there, and impressive identification skills too. I agree that a more natural and weathered look is an improvement. I don't know if you have tried boiled linseed oil. When all rust has been removed eg blasting or electrolysis, if you coat steel with a layer (by brush) of boiled linseed oil it prevents rust, and leaves all natural detail and colour visible. It doesn't dry glossy like varnish and after a short time it isn't even noticeable that a coating of anything has been applied. Leaving a lovely natural authentic appearance. I have only recently come across this and since application to many steel relics I'm really pleased and impressed with the outcome. Now I will have to go over many items in my collection to repeat the process. Since I don't like to paint over artefacts I have tried various methods of preservation with an aim of a natural look. Unfortunately, these haven't all worked long term and some of my pieces are slowly degrading. I feel pretty confident that this is exactly what I should have done from the beginning. Its also very cheap, and no, I do not own shares in a linseed oil company ;-)
    Just a note of caution for anyone using B.L.O. If you decide to wipe off excess oil with rag or similar, (after application) bare in mind that boiled linseed oil on certain cloths is very volatile and can very easily ignite. I have heard from somewhere of 'spontaneous ignition' with this but I cannot vouch for that myself. Any info on this greatly appreciated..... just out of curiosity.
    Kind regards, Francis
    I may have to look into that. I definitely want these parts to have a more weathered/battle worn look to them. I’ve used linseed oil for staining gun stocks many times in the past, but I never thought of using it on iron relics.

I definitely want to experiment with the dry brushing method Danmark recommended too.

Fantastic relics Jarret & in safe hands too !
    Regards
    Paul

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    Fantastic relics Jarret & in safe hands too !
    Regards
    Paul
    Thanks Paul! I really appreciate it

Just posted my new toy..

Now you got me hooked... I just bought a piece of exploded Tiger Tank ordnance!

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Now you got me hooked... I just bought a piece of exploded Tiger Tank ordnance!
    It’s addicting for sure! I would love to see the piece you bought.

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast