Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

My Tiger I Relic collection

Article about: Ever since I was a little kid I’ve been fascinated by the infamous Tiger I. Right around the time when I was in the 2nd grade or so me and father watched the great movie Kelly’s Hero’s

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    It’s addicting for sure! I would love to see the piece you bought.
    I'll show pics when it gets here.

So it's the base of an 8.8cm Flak 18 shell casing that was found where an ammo racked Tiger tank was on top of a hill at Kursk. It was found recently, but there was bits of ammo, tank and tracks everywhere. It's still got all the markings on it.

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    I'll show pics when it gets here.

So it's the base of an 8.8cm Flak 18 shell casing that was found where an ammo racked Tiger tank was on top of a hill at Kursk. It was found recently, but there was bits of ammo, tank and tracks everywhere. It's still got all the markings on it.
    Sounds awesome! Really looking forward to seeing it.

I ended up winning an auction for a tiger part today. This is an another example coming from the Korsun pocket in Ukraine.

This part is the hub/base for the drivers steering wheel. There are two different models of the steering wheel that were used on Tiger Is. One with four spokes that only appeared on earlier Tigers, and one with two spokes that only appeared on later production models. This example is from a later production Tiger as it only had two spokes. Unfortunately the spokes and handle are long gone, but you can clearly see where the spokes were once attached.

I would consider this part a fairly important component of the Tiger I. Without it the driver would have a very hard time steering!

My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection
    My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Jarret - mate, you had me on the hook with the thread title!!!!!

GREAT relics - I know they were rusted and all original patina was lost - but being an old modeller, I would 'weather' them with some black wash and a little dry brushing, they will look SO much better IMO ( not that they don't now )

How to Use Paint Washes to Create Depth – Scale Model Guide

Cheers, Dan
    After following Danmark’s very helpful advice, I now have one part completely washed and dry brushed. For my first attempt at something like this I don’t think it turned out too bad. It definitely highlights the pitting, and that's exactly what I was wanting. The part now looks like it’s been through a war, which it has!

My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 05-27-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Turned out great Jarret!!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Turned out great Jarret!!
    Cheers, Dan
    Thanks Dan!

Couldn't have done it without your advice

I managed to get my hands on a few more Tiger parts recently. These are coming from the same wreck site in Latvia that some of my other parts were sourced from.

One of the parts appears to be some type of small maintenance hatch. Despite being quite rusty you can see some areas of original paint. In my opinion the second part is MUCH more intense. It’s a blown up section of the main gun barrel. It’s very heavy and remains of the rifling are still visible.

My Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collectionMy Tiger I Relic collection

A new name suggestion......Tora, Tora, Tora ( Tiger, Tiger, Tiger )

Or in French, Tigre, Tigre, Tigre.....

LOL
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Nice Tiger parts.. Lovely.

A new name suggestion......Tora, Tora, Tora ( Tiger, Tiger, Tiger )

Or in French, Tigre, Tigre, Tigre.....

LOL
    You may be on to something there Dan!

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast