Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer Tank Track ID

Article about: Hi all, Just a few questions for anyone who can answer on this tank track that came out of Poland: I believe this is a Panzer III tank track, can anyone confirm that? - what were the differe

Default Panzer Tank Track ID

Hi all,

Just a few questions for anyone who can answer on this tank track that came out of Poland:

I believe this is a Panzer III tank track, can anyone confirm that?

- what were the different types of tracks used for (type 1, type 2, etc)? Were they just improvements on the design? If so, can a year be placed on this track?

- what type of steel were these tank tracks made of?

Would be grateful for any help.

Best,

PF

PS: It is damaged, though I think it can still be identified.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzer Tank Track ID   Panzer Tank Track ID  

Panzer Tank Track ID  

PeaceFrogg, it could be a Pz. Kpfw. II or III, but I am inclined to agree with you that it's a III. I have taken two illustrations from Die deutschen Panzer, 1926-1945 by F. M. von Senger und Etterlin for you to look at. I hope they help. Dwight

Panzer Tank Track ID

Panzer Tank Track ID

Thanks for your help Dwight, I also appreciate the photos. I've since learned from an expert that it is a Panzer III or IV type 2 track. It's a manganese and steel alloy. They were first produced around 1940, as the tanks underwent changes to their design including wider sprockets and wheels. Could have been used on a Panzer III G or H or Panzer IV. One could only guess where it was used and how it ended up where it did. Cheers from Leipzig.

Peacefrogg, glad to be of help. Where was it found? My cousin Fred was a Panzer Pioneer in the 20th Panzer Division that was in the Leipzig area in Late April 1945 and then moved through Czechoslovakia trying to reach Austria. Part of the division was left behind at Templice, which I think was just inside Czechoslovakia, where those men, my cousin included, surrendered to the Russians on 12 May 1945. The bulk of the Division surrendered to the Americans in Austria. THe 20th Division was equipped with both the Pz. Kpfw. III and IV.

Hello, You might find this video helpful.

Panzer III/IV Tracks In Focus - YouTube

Jonathan.

Jonathan, thanks for providing that very interesting and useful link. Dwight

No worries mate.

Jonathan.

Hello Peace Frog,

Your's is part of an early Panzer III/IV Type 2 38cm track link. Also used on Stugs.

Doug