Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wartime Leningrad Trams

Article about: During the Siege of Leningrad the city's trams fearlessly continued their work despite the destruction of its infrastructure. The trams performed significant functions: they transported sold

Default Wartime Leningrad Trams

During the Siege of Leningrad the city's trams fearlessly continued their work despite the destruction of its infrastructure.
    The trams performed significant functions: they transported soldiers to the front line and brought wounded soldiers back. They helped evacuate children and works of art out of the city. In some cases they were even set up as road barricades.
    Many trams were driven by women and even children.
    Throughout the blockade years almost 4,500 people were employed at tramway parks and lines.

These are a few trams I photographed during my visits to St Petersburg.

It would be great to see any other photos or stories you may have on the subject

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime Leningrad Trams   Wartime Leningrad Trams  

Wartime Leningrad Trams   Wartime Leningrad Trams  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very interesting. Never really thought about this but they indeed did their share of the work during the war.

Interesting thread.
    Thanks.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Good idea putting old photos in the windows.

Default Wartime Leningrad trams

Interesting topic. The "blockade tram" monument (no.2465) stands at a point where in 1941 tram cars formed a barricade against the German tanks.
    The text on the plaque; Here in September 1941 the Peterhof highroad was blocked with tram cars for the protection of Leningrad against fascist tanks.
    The text on the other plaque: "Blockade tram" type MS was placed in 2007 in honor of 100 years of the St.Petersburg tram.
    More about this monument; Памятник блокадному трамваю .
    Last edited by Asjemenou; 09-11-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Text correction; blockade tram is a type MS not MC.

Thank you for this information and link

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very interesting link.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

In 1979 in Germany, I shared a hospital room with a former Artillery-NCO at Leningrad...He said that they could actually observe these trams shifting troops and supplies and would take them under artillery fire...

You must have had fascinating conversations with him

Nick

I sure did, for about 10 days we kept each other company chatting about his "Dienstzeit" in the 100,000 Man Reichswehr under Hans von Seeckt and his experiences during the invasions of Poland, France, and Russia on the Leningrad Front...up to the end when he crossed the Elbe River and surrendered to the Americans...I still have all of those stories in my memory, just like the story with the trams...
    regards, Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast