Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

46 on Archer SP gun in (probably) Holland?

Article about: Dear Forum members recently I bought a grouping with some items and pictures from a British soldier. He served with the Royal Artillery, 43 Wessex Division and also there is number/unit ment

Default 46 on Archer SP gun in (probably) Holland?

Dear Forum members
    recently I bought a grouping with some items and pictures from a British soldier. He served with the Royal Artillery, 43 Wessex Division and also there is number/unit mentioned in his servicebook 537 Field Battery.
    One of the pictures shows some Archers. One of them has the number 46 on it's right front. The surroundings look quite Dutch and the picture was taken during Autumn or Winter.
    Does this all make sense? What does the 46 mean?
    Who can help me please?
    I can not upload pics but will do so asap.
    Thanks

Similar to this one then.

46 on  Archer SP gun in (probably) Holland?

A rare AFV now. This one was attached to the Highland Div. Photo from IWM London.

That's actually a rear view shot-the Archer was based on a Valentine tank chassis with the 17 pounder gun firing over the rear hull to make it more compact-when fired, the gun breech recoiled almost to where the driver sat!

46 on the red/blue colours of the Royal Artillery denoted an Anti Tank unit.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for your replies. Hereby one of the pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 46 on  Archer SP gun in (probably) Holland?  

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Similar to this one then.

46 on  Archer SP gun in (probably) Holland?

A rare AFV now. This one was attached to the Highland Div. Photo from IWM London.
    Rather than Highland Division this is 15th (Scottish) Division and would be 102nd (Northumberland Hussars) A/T Regiment RA - I have a couple of groups to this unit and can confirm they used "46" as their TAC number - but then so would other A/T Regiments in other Divisions

Thanks all for your help and information.