Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Can you ID this tank/self propelled gun?

Article about: Hello, I picked up this photo in a batch of other pictures/items from the late 1930s-early 40s yesterday and can't make out the model of tank/gun this fellow is standing in front of. It look

Default Can you ID this tank/self propelled gun?

Hello,

I picked up this photo in a batch of other pictures/items from the late 1930s-early 40s yesterday and can't make out the model of tank/gun this fellow is standing in front of. It looks like it's marked for the 1st Armored Division, but I can't tell any more. What say you?

Thanks!

Can you ID this tank/self propelled gun?

M41 Walker Bulldog.

The photo is most likely circa 1950s (1954) when the 1st AD was at Ft Hood, Texas, and the unit was the 100th Tank Battalion.

Smitty

I also forgot to add:

We have several 1950s 1AD unit histories with the 100th Tank Battalion listed.

Here are some of the Division units at that time. This is the table of contents in one of the Unit History books:

General Staff -- Special Staff -- History of First Armored Division -- Headquarters Officers -- Headquarters and Headquarters Company 1st Armored Division -- 1st Armored Division Band -- Combat Command "A"--Combat Command "B" -- Reserve Command -- Division Artillery -- Division Trains -- 17th Armor Group -- 1st Tank Battalion -- 1st Armored Quartermaster Battalion -- 2nd Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion -- 4th Tank Battalion -- 13th Tank Battalion -- 16th Armored Engineer Battalion -- 25th Armored Infantry Battalion -- 27th Armored Filed Artillery Battalion -- 47th Armored Medical Battalion -- 68th Armored Field Artillery Battalion -- 73rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion -- 81st Reconnaissance Battalion -- 91st Armored Field Artillery Battalion -- 100th Tank Battalion -- 123 Armored Ordnance Battalion -- 141st Armored Signal Company -- 317th Tank Battalion -- 501st Military Police Company -- 501 Replacement Company -- 509th Tank Battalion -- 634th Armored Infantry Battalion -- 701st Armored Infantry Battalion -- 702 Armored Infantry Battalion -- 3632 Ordnance Company.

Smitty

Here is an update to the inquiry.

This is an image of the rear of the M41 Walker Bulldog at the 1st Armored Division Museum at Ft Bliss. You can see the left side mounted gun travelling lock.

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can you ID this tank/self propelled gun?