MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?

Article about: Hello, Is this a telescope (1943 dated) from M4 Sherman Tank or maybe M5? Please find attached pictures. Thank you Regards A.S.

Default M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?

Hello,

Is this a telescope (1943 dated) from M4 Sherman Tank or maybe M5? Please find attached pictures. Thank you

Regards
    A.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?   M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?  

M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?   M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?  

M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?   M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?  

M4 Sherman Tank Gun Telescope?  

pretty sure the Sherman telescope is m70f and you have m55 so could be for some other yank tank/ armoured car, it also looks like the original number was over stamped with m55 so could have been re used for a later tank with different graticules (a common practice with british telescopes).
    in the last pic you can see a red dot, this is to illuminate the graticules in low light. shine a light on the red dot and look through the sight.

Hello,

Eddy8men, thank you kindly for your comment! Thank you for the information regarding a red dot. Interesting. Do you know which other tank or armoured car? I mean a few possibilities; types. please.

Regards
    A.S.

I collect british sighting telescopes so don't know much about American ones but all british scopes are the same dimensionally and only the graticules are different so I would assume the American are the same. another thing of note is that telescopes aren't specific to a type of tank only the gun and mg combination.

Eddy8men,once again thank you. Impressive knowledge!

?

There are six M70's of various types on ebay right now. They range from about $50 to $200. One is complete with the rubber eye piece.

I found my at the flea market.