Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

My Jeep and it's history

Article about: Hi Jay, thanks! The Bridge Too Far quote was very apt! I thought it might be worth showing some more of the documentation I have which I mentioned in the text of my original post. Here is th

Default Re: My Jeep and it's history

Ade

Could I ask where you found so much on your jeep? As after four years off the road, I am shortly about to get mine back again which i cannot wait for as I have owned it now since around 1995!! Mine is finished as an Airborne vehicle but does not have all the mods I have just read about, but I don't use it for shows, so precise detail is not crucial for me as I just love using it, often as a run around if I go out detecting on farmland, digging or even dropping the kids off at school on a nice sunny day! It even sat outside the marquee where my wedding was (which was 40s themed) and I remember sitting in it that night chatting to people with a beer in hand (no driving!) on a perfect summers night, so like you plenty of good memories attached to the vehicle.

Knowing some more about its history would be absolutely fantastic, and any pointers you could give me as to where to look would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Hi Steve, if your Jeep was:

1) Ex US Army surplus/French surplus/Greek surplus etc
    2) Ex British Army surplus BUT sold off proir to 1949

then the massive odds are no info will be found. The paper records simply no longer exist.

The key to finding any info is if your Jeep served with the British Army and got re-numbered in 1949. If it did, the wartime WD census number can be found.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade

Thanks for your reply.

Yes mine is a Brit one and I am certain it got the 'new' style two number, two letter, two number army reg before it was sold off. In fact if I remember rightly it was stamped on a small plate on the vehicle as well.

Shes still away being fixed so I cant get to that plate now to check but do have log book around in office which I will check in case it gives me any kind of 'date of first registration' when it went onto the civilian register. I know it is recorded on some docs as being a 1941 year of build and other places as a 1942.

I will pull together some more facts if and come back and ask again if thats ok as I have really been re-engerised to get her back on the road and knowing more about her has become a real quest now.

Once again thanks for taking the time to help

Steve

Hi Steve,

do you have any pics of your jeep to show? Apologies in advance if you've posted them elswhere and I haven't seen them!

Hi Canti

I was looking for some today and was certain I did have laods but am really struggling to find any, but guess thats what the arrival of kids 6 years ago did to all my nice records and photos!! I will keep looking as I would like to add something to the thread rather than just be asking for assistance!! Leave it with me!

Steve

My Jeep and it's history

Well success!! I asked the wife if we had any shots from the wedding that had the jeep in, well there was one showing one of her friends but you get the idea!!

Steve

Hello,

I'm late on this as I'm new to this board.

Still, this Jeep is so nice I just have to comment. It's rare to see one that well restored even here in the States where Jeeps are relatively common.

I'm a former auto technician who specialized in Jeeps, and really loved the CJ (Civilian Jeep). There is a great history among us "Jeepers" that has been passed down since WWII -- much in the same way Harley Davidson became popular due to troops using them in the service and wishing to continue that use at home, Jeepers began buying military surplus Jeeps at the end of the war.

They were used for everything from daily drivers to farm tractors. The PTO (power take-off) allowed accessories to be driven from the transfer case.

I would recommend to you the book The Jeep Owner's Bible if you do not already own it. In my opinion, that is the quintessential book for Jeep owners from all walks of life and of every Jeep hobby, regardless of whether it's collecting or off-roading.

Thanks for having me here.

Regards,

Josh

Default Weird coincidence,jeep manual

Ive just bought this TM-9-803 off epay for £6.66,miss listed luckily for me,the interesting bit is marked on the cover the british census number M1501131,only 50 numbers from Adrians,its also stamped 887 H.A.A R.E.M.E [heavy anti aircraft ?]My Jeep and it's history

Wow Ade i had no idea that you own such a great historical vehicle. Well done.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by wrecker View Post
    Ive just bought this TM-9-803 off epay for £6.66,miss listed luckily for me,the interesting bit is marked on the cover the british census number M1501131,only 50 numbers from Adrians,its also stamped 887 H.A.A R.E.M.E [heavy anti aircraft ?]My Jeep and it's history
    Great to find an original manual.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 08-24-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Correction.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast