Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ottoman Turkish cannon crest

Article about: This is an intriguing piece I recently obtained from close friend whose grandfather (?) originally owned and may have been the one who brought it to UK. I only know that it is taken from the

The one shown on the IWM website is disappointingly well polished but that is not too surprising if it was held as a decoration or display piece in an officers mess etc.

IWM list it as Gunmetal (known as Red Brass in the US) but looking at the colour of it I doubt that.

Gunmetal is an alloy of Copper, tin and zinc in that order of proportion and tends to be a greyish colour.

Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc whilst Bronze is an alloy of Copper and Tin. Neither of these could be described as "Greyish".

Ottoman Turkish cannon crest

Whilst looking into this I find that the most likely action to result in the capture of these items was Megiddo, Palestine in 1918;

Battle of Megiddo | National Army Museum

I believe there were some 300+ guns captured so I wonder how many had these crests and of those how many have survived.

It will be of interest to our Antipodean members the Allenby's force included a large number of ANZAC troops so perhaps I can interest you blokes in my quest for more info?

Here's an Australian Government link;

Meggido: Allenby's Masterstroke

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-31-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A great looking artifact Mark. Have you thought of mounting it on the wood backing like the IWM example? Look good as a wall hanger. But leave the patina as is.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    A great looking artifact Mark. Have you thought of mounting it on the wood backing like the IWM example? Look good as a wall hanger. But leave the patina as is.
    Thanks Peter, yes that is exactly what I have in mind. It has to be the right piece of wood though and I think that Teak fits the bill best or if I can source a suitable chunk Mahogany would be even better. The IWM example seems to be on Oak which IMO just doesn't look right. I intend to use bronze slotted screws rather than nails as in the IWM item. I certainly have no intention of polishing it. That would just be wrong

I'm still trying to find out exactly the type of ordnance it came off and I have placed an enquiry with IWM although I am still digging away myself.

As I said earlier, any info I can turn up will be posted in this thread

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sounds like a good plan. I did a bit research myself and quite a number of Turkish and German artillery pieces got shipped back to New Zealand after WW1 even found a recent local news story of a buried Ottoman gun being searched for. I think during WW2 many old WW1 guns on display in parks were moved or hidden in case they became an target for Japanese bombers. I'll let you know if I dig up anything that could link to your crest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2