MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

another VIRTUTI MILITARI

Article about: by Igor Ostapenko and another VM5 from Knedler (?) water and soap

Thumbs up another VIRTUTI MILITARI

silver, without hallmarks, number 9715
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture another VIRTUTI MILITARI   another VIRTUTI MILITARI  

another VIRTUTI MILITARI  

Hello Igor,

The Silver Cross of the Order Virtuti Militari Numbered: 9715 was awarded to Romanian Army Major Vasila Ionescu, Order dated 27th February 1922, I hope that the information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Igor,

The Silver Cross of the Order Virtuti Militari Numbered: 9715 was awarded to Romanian Army Major Vasila Ionescu, Order dated 27th February 1922, I hope that the information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    Hello Andrzejku,
    This information really help me ,
    Thank You !
    Best Regards,
    Igor

pictures from Museum of Romanian Army -

* VIRTUTI MILITARY 5 klasy of CONSTANTIN MALAMUCEANU
    &
    * medals bar with VM5 of MATEI VASILIU
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture another VIRTUTI MILITARI  
    Attached Images Attached Images another VIRTUTI MILITARI 

Hi Igor,

This cross bears all of the classic characteristics of a quality Jan Knedler product. They are beautifully made VM’s. Based on the available information that I’m aware of (and there isn’t much surviving information) the bulk of the official 5th class crosses were produced by the firm Krupski & Matulewicz by virtue of having provided the winning low bid for the contract. So with that mind this cross would be considered as a replacement copy.

However, it is known that the Polish government were not entirely pleased with the quality of the Krupski & Matulewicz crosses, thereby discovering the truth behind the age old rule that low bid is not always the best bid! They commissioned a special higher grade series of crosses from K&M that were intended for awarding to foreigners. Many of the surplus crosses from this order were evacuated out of Poland in 1939 to end up being distributed among soldiers of the Polish 2nd Corps fighting alongside the Allies. These crosses can be identified as having manually engraved serial numbers in the low 10,000 range

I have seen evidence suggesting the possibility that a small batch of crosses were also provided to the government by Knedler. This cross may very well be part of that order. But this is all speculation based on seeing other identical serial numbered Knedler crosses held up as being official issues.

Of course, these Knedler crosses could also have been ordered privately by the recipient. Such was the case for many Polish professional military personnel who would rather keep their official VM safely stored away and wear a replacement copy from one of several makers. But as this particular VM was issued to a foreigner, who was not subject to the same uniform display regulations as Poles, it raises the question of why would a foreigner would want a replacement cross - ?

As usual with the pre-WW2 Virtuti Militari, there are more questions than answers.

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 09-18-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: typo correction
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

some cross for foreigner - number 9773
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...10/#post909014
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture another VIRTUTI MILITARI  

Igor, you posted Constantin Malamuceanu’s VM while I was writing my last reply. The VM in his grouping is also a Knedler. So this adds fuel to the fire that Knedler crosses may have been used as official issues. You can clearly see the same serial number font / style is used in both crosses.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Tony ,
    Thank You !!!
    But ...
    See please picture of one Item , was sold In Poland

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    ... same serial number font / style is used in both crosses.

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony ,
    See please numbers together

Hi again Igor, thanks for the added pictures. This is all supporting the comments made in my earlier post that:

“I have seen evidence suggesting the possibility that a small batch of crosses were also provided to the government by Knedler. This cross may very well be part of that order. But this is all speculation based on seeing other identical serial numbered Knedler crosses held up as being official issues.”

So based on what you have just posted the evidence grows stronger that Knedler may have supplied the government with VM’s!

Cheers,
    Tony

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast