Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this Polish army uniform from WW1?

Article about: Here is a photo of one of my great-uncles in Polish army uniform, I think in WW1. He was from Plock. It looks like a cavalry uniform and I’d love to find out which regiment he was in. b

Default Can anyone identify this Polish army uniform from WW1?

Here is a photo of one of my great-uncles in Polish army uniform, I think in WW1. He was from Plock. It looks like a cavalry uniform and I’d love to find out which regiment he was in.
    Can anyone identify this Polish army uniform from WW1?b

Hello Susan,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum and thank you for your post, the uniform is post 1918 after regaining Independence on the 11th November 1918, the Polish Nation was flung into several wars to establish its borders.

The photograph does not show any Cavalry Pennons on the collars, therefore he might have been in an Artillery Regiment.

Uniforms are unfortunately not my forte, no doubt some of the other Forum members will be able to help you Susan.

Once again Welcome to the Forum Susan.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej

Thank you for your reply. I'm interested that you say the uniform is post-1918, as it's on the same page of a family photograph album as a photo of this great-uncle's brother in British army uniform taken during WW1. I'm not sure whether this great-uncle had stayed in Poland when his brothers and sisters emigrated to England, or if Polish nationals were recalled from Britain to fight for their country. (It's possible that his older siblings may have been naturalised British citizens by this point, while he wasn't.)

I thought the uniform might be from a cavalry regiment because of the boots and jodhpurs, but of course it's possible that other types of regiment may also have worn them.

Best wishes

Susan

Hello Susan,

Many thanks for your reply, what you need to remember is that prior to 11th November 1918, Poland as a Country did not exist and those Polish soldiers that fought during WW1 fought wearing either French, Russian or german or austrian uniforms.

It was only after 1918 even then some fought wearing their French, Austrian or german uniforms with the Polish Crowned Eagle clutching the Amazon Shield or just the Crowned Eagle without shield.

Hopefully one of the other Forum members will be able to comment no doubt when they are back from their Holidays or from lockdown.

Best wishes

Andrzej