Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")

Article about: Hello, I would like to share my Eagle badge(in rather poor condition) with you. Is this Eagle hat badge is made for Rifelmen's Association "Rifleman" ("Strzelec") 1911-19

Default Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")

Hello,

I would like to share my Eagle badge(in rather poor condition) with you. Is this Eagle hat badge is made for Rifelmen's Association "Rifleman" ("Strzelec") 1911-1914 or for veterans of "Strzelec" after WW1? Please find attached photos.
    I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you

Regards
    A.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")   Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")  

?

If you consider only the two possibilities it is certainly the first one. The eagle looks like the pre-war "Strzelec" Riflemen's Association's eagle. It should be 34,2 mm high. Known as "Kadrowy" because was used at the beginning of the war by the 1st Cadre Company of Joseph Piłsudski.

Hi Kapral,

Thank you for your comment. Such a good news! I am away now, but will post size details when back

Regards
    A.S.

Yes. I can confirm; 34,2 mm high. Once again, thank you Kapral!

There are three things in my opinion that are problematic with this eagle.
    Overall finish and appearance : red rust on the spinner, details not crisp enough.

Screw back fastener : the earliest and only ones that had screw back fastening were made by J. Chylinski in 1917 in Warsaw, however they did not make a "Kadrowy " Eagle, so this would point to a later manufacture date.

The sizing : Zawistowski book example of "Kadrowy " sits at 36 mm, there is another early one in the book patterned after "Kadrowy" measures 35mm.

I am of opinion that a close hand examination would be needed on this Eagle to determine authenticity.

How did you obtain this Eagle ?

First of all I want to apologize for wrong measure. Probably I was blind and took wrong mm from left side. I really don't know why. One Eagle badge wing is bigger. My foult anyway. Again, my apologize. Because of bad condition I cannot move the spinner to do some more pics. Please find new pictures below with correct measure(this time) Looks like 37mm-38mm(from bigger wing site), but better if you have a look Krakow1 as you mentioned should be 36mm, if this is "Kadrowy" I am really confused right now. Any more ideas? Eagle badge came from U.K. from trustworthy person. Thank you.

Regards
    A.S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")   Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")  

Alex,

As I said previously method of fastening the Eagle is very important in determining when it was made. Original "Kadrowy " Eagle had so called "omega " fasteners, these were used also on Austrian/ Austro-Hungarian badges. "Kadrowy' eagle was first made in Krakow and the City at the time was under Austrian rule. Of course there is always a possibility of someone replacing these and installing a screw post later. But I am not seeing anything in the pictures that would suggest that.
    regarding the measurements :
    There were more than one manufacturer, so the measurements will differ, only if the manufacturer is known, one can compare the size to known examples of that manufacturer and see how they measure up.

Krakow 1, thank you very much for your opinion and good lesson. I really appreciate.

Regards
    Alex

?

Default Omega fastener

Is this what you referred to as an omega fastener?

Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")Eagle badge of Rifelmen's Association "Rifelman"("Strzelec")

That is omega fastening.