Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for some help on finding information about my late grandfather

Article about: I've currently come to a dead end on the research of my grandfather. I've been trying to find military information and family info for years now and it seems I cannot go any further. If some

?

Post Looking for some help on finding information about my late grandfather

I've currently come to a dead end on the research of my grandfather. I've been trying to find military information and family info for years now and it seems I cannot go any further.

If someone out there can help with the military information, it would be amazing.

He is Kazimierz Orlita, born 18th of June, 1923 Poland.
    My father told me he served as a 1st engineer, enlisting at 15 or 16 to fight for Poland.
    He served for 4 years possibly, and when the war was over he went to the UK.

I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone's interested.

Hello 4ann3r,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, I have searched through the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross without finding your Granfather listed.

I have checked through other websites kresy-siberia wall of tribute without find ing anything listed for him.

The only thing that I did find was his London Gazette entry when grabted British Citizenship on the 2nd January 1964, printed in the London Gazette issue dated 3rd March 1964 when he was living at 23 Whitley Lane, Bradford.

Therefore I would recommend that you apply to the British Ministry of Defence for a copy of his service record, when applying please be sure to ask for copies of all records that they hold otherwise you will just receive either a 1 or 2 page letter detailing his service etc.

The link to the M-o-D website is below, unfortunately they do charge for this service.

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. please let us know 4ann3r how you get on.

?

Hi there, that's what I found too. I have sent off information a few weeks ago to the MOD and a place over in Poland. I'm not sure when I'll get anything back though.

Thanks for the help.

Hello 4ann3r,

Many thanks for your post, the M-o-D reply should be within a couple of weeks, if you have written to the Polish Military Records Centre in Rembertów, that might be a little longer.

Some years ago I requested information from them regarding the Service record of a General and received nearly 50 pages of photocopies, hopefully you will receive some photocopies including a photograph if there is one on file.

Fingers crossed for you 4ann3r.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Yes fingers cross. Just a waiting game now haha.
    Thanks again.

?

Welcome to the site 4ann3r,
    It looks like you found some help with your fathers service.
    Semper Fi
    Phil