Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MS Wojsk Pocket Watch

Article about: Hello All, I have the opportunity to buy a pocket watch with an engraving of the Ministerstwo Spraw Wojskowyh (MS Wojsk) purportedly from 1936. I have reviewed the watch and the dial and cas

?

Default MS Wojsk Pocket Watch

Hello All,

I have the opportunity to buy a pocket watch with an engraving of the Ministerstwo Spraw Wojskowyh (MS Wojsk) purportedly from 1936. I have reviewed the watch and the dial and case are correct (though the hands might have been replaced), but I am not sure if the engraving on the back is original.

Would the forum have any thoughts if it is in keeping with the style of the time and typical of these watches?

MS Wojsk Pocket Watch
    MS Wojsk Pocket Watch

Kind regards,

Brandon

Hello Brandon,

Many thanks for your post the Crowned Eagle is the Coat of Arms used between 1919-1927, the only ones that I have seen carry the M.S.Wojsko in the centre as shown in the photograph below. I am no expert on watches, therefore I would say wait for some of the other Forum members to reply.

MS Wojsk Pocket Watch

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello Andrzej,

I also noted that the eagle was the prior version given the watch has the 1936 date. However, I've seen two similar examples with the date 1937 that had a similar early-IIRP eagle. I do not believe these were official watches, opposed to the Zenith ones with MS Wojsk stamped on the back that had two issuances. I also have also two Doxa watches with similar MS Wojsk stamps though seems the Doxa watches in part or in total are up for discussion.

My suspicion is these watches with the eagle engraving were "commemorative" for those retiring or leaving the ministry or to recognize a particular achievement.

If they were "commemorative " they would have something to commemorate engraved on them. As 5 year anniversary, etc .
    Last edited by Krakow1; 09-23-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Agreed with Krakow1
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

By the way, that's a mighty fine example posted by Andrzejku ;-)
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne