Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?

Article about: Hello, Is my Wz.27 Polish Naval Officer's Cutlass, 100% original prewar, please ? It has pitting, probably caused by rust (it was probably sandblasted) causing some damage to the engravings

Default My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, made by Borowski, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?

Hello,

Is my Wz.27 Polish Naval Officer's Cutlass, 100% original prewar, please ?

It has some pitting to its blade, probably caused by rust (it was probably sandblasted) causing some damage to the engravings and it has furring of the main hilt screw, which could just be through constant tightening or restoration.

I have attached its photos.

I have decided that sadly, I need to sell it.

I am trying to find out its value, to very strongly consider listing it very soon in the Gold Club, For Sale section.

I am very keen to make a quick sale in the Gold Club, For Sale section, would this is possible at the moment, for a fair price, please ?

If I know there is sufficient interest, in buying it for a fair price, I will list it there very soon.

Thank you very much, in advance.

Justin

justin1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?   My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?  

My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?   My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?  

My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?   My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?  

My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?  
    Last edited by justin1939; 04-04-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Hi Justin, sorry, can’t give you a value appraisal as that’s not really our thing here. Although there is a Borowski navy cutlass presently listed on Allegro (which I believe you know about), so watch there. Never having handled one of these, along with them being so scarcely seen, I can only offer some general observations. As mentioned to you back when you were considering purchase, the blade etching was a concern. It has the early Borowski pattern, but almost appears to have been worked over in an attempt at restoration - ? The etching has a strange smudged appearance, with the etched surfaces being unusually rough. I’ve never seen this on a Borowski product. On first glance I thought it was maybe a crudely made modern replacement. If corrosion is to blame then I am curious why the leather wrap seems to have escaped unscathed, unless it has been replaced. While these pre-WW2 navy cutlasses are sought after by blade collectors, this is one example that I’d be especially wary of. Sorry, but without a hands on inspection I cannot offer you much more.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I recently sold it on Allegro for 12 000,00 zł, luckily getting nearly the price I bought it for, which was 12 766,99 zł.

I was extremely lucky to be able to "upgrade" it to an exceptionally well preserved example, for 13 115,00 zł recently.

Here are the photos of my current Wz.27 Polish Naval Officer's Cutlass, made by G. Borowski.

The seller had to sell it after many years "z bólem serca" from her families collection, maybe it belonged to a relation, I will ask her if she knows who was the original owner (maybe a photograph) and who (and where) kept it safe and in exceptional condition throughout the years, it would be extremely interesting to know, but unfortunately, it might be lost to history.

In the sacred and beloved memory of the Officers and Men of the Prewar Polish Navy.

Justin

justin1939
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?   My Wz.27 Polish Naval Officers Cutlass, what would its value be, 100% original prewar, please ?  

Last edited by justin1939; 05-25-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Nice upgrade . Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Unfortunatelly both are copies. Seller have "ból serca" becouse he cheat for big money. Nice original costs about 20 000 - 25 000 PLN in Poland. But it is almost impossible to find.
    Make really good photo and put in on odkrywca if you want to get good opinion.

Thanks for your input, although more details would be appreciated. Are you able to point out any specific characteristics indicating the cutlass in post 3 is a copy? Or is your assertion based solely on the association with the seller and the price it sold for? And do you know that both of the examples shown here are from the same seller?

Regards,
    Tony

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Thanks for your input, although more details would be appreciated. Are you able to point out any specific characteristics indicating the cutlass in post 3 is a copy? Or is your assertion based solely on the association with the seller and the price it sold for? And do you know that both of the examples shown here are from the same seller?

Regards,
    Tony
    No Tony, I didn't based my opinnion on the price. I can't write you what is wrong, becouse the copymakers don't sleep! :/
    Look carefully on details.

Hi Orkan,

In the absence of any comments are you able to post photos of a genuine example?

In all honesty I did not pore over the photos of the second cutlass, and understand how my comment that it was an upgrade to the poor looking first one could be interpreted as supporting authenticity. As stated here many times, prior to giving any assurance of authenticity the same old rules apply: 1) carefully comparing to a known genuine example, and 2) in-hand inspection by someone with knowledge of the article being examined.

Cheers,
    Tony

Hello Tony (very glad to see you back on the Forum) and Orkan,

Thank you very much for your replies.

The first cutlass sold from Tychy (April last year) and second sold from Poznań (April this year).

There was a third (I think it sold from Warsaw, which Tychy is near) which sold shortly after the second, for a significantly lower price, unfortunately I lost the details after my computer refused to boot up, and I had to reinstall Windows, which unfortunately happens sometimes.

Unfortunately I have not yet posted a question on the Odkrywca forum, but will soon.

Thank you very much for your help, in trying to determine its authenticity, the worst way I will have the next best thing to an original, but if it is not original, hopefully I can find an original in the future and buy it.

If not, I will satisfy myself with this one, as even a copy of this quality should be reasonably rare and is reasonably convincing and maybe I will only see an original in a museum.

Luckily, I think that I have definitely got an 100% original Prewar Polish Naval officers monogrammed dress dagger which I bought for 6 600,00 zł, from Krakow in April 2013, on this link below, which will help to make up for it -

Wz.24/37 Polish Naval (MW -Marynarka Wojenna) Officer's Dagger, 100% original pre-war ?