Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The mysterious polish decoration

Article about: Does anybody has any idea from what origin that mysterious decoration came to existence? Inside of the needle there is the description: “ges gesch”, which, as I believe is the nickname f

Default The mysterious polish decoration

Does anybody has any idea from what origin that mysterious decoration came to existence?

It has the gold pated star (from I don’t know what metal), and the bronze emblem.

Inside of the needle there is the description: “ges gesch”, which, as I believe is the nickname for "gesetzlich geschützt".

Size is of 85mm in the diameter

Looks very similarly to the star of the “Order Orła Białego”, but instead of the eagle has the coat of arms of the Lwow town.

Helo LittleAlex,

Many thanks for your post unfortunately the Lwów Lion does not have a crown, which the star you have shown does.

Below is the Coat of Arms for the City of Lwów during the 2nd Republic period hope it helps clarify the issue, I think that your Star is german.

Coat of Arms of the City of Lwów

Best wishes

Andrzej

Yes, there are coat of Arms of Lwów from the Austrian times. So, then I believe that the time of production of that decoration is from 1918th till 1921th . Because at the Austrian time that decoration evidently wouldn’t be possible. But from the moment of restoration of the “Order Orła Białego” in the Poland, I believe it also wouldn’t be permitted. So, I believe it is rather closer to the 1918th. Quite possible at the same time with the "Krzyż Obrony Lwowa".

Hello LittleAlex,

Many thanks for your post, again I have looked at earlier Coat of Arms for the City of Lwów and the Lion does not have a crown on its head has is shown with your star.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Yes, sorry - I didn't mention that. It is really so - no crown on the lions head! Which makes the matter even more interesting!

But the crown at the top is really as it was with Lwów Coat of Arms used during Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Empire

File:Lviv coat avst.png - Wikimedia Commons

I discovered, that before occupation by Austria the coat of Arms of Lwów, on the some magistrate stamps did have the lion with the crown.

Look at that book:

http://obc.opole.pl/Content/6605/PDF/313597.pdf

In the old Poland the town had the title “The kings town” (królewskie miasto). Which might be showed by the crown on the lion head at the magistrate stamps. Austrians finished with the Kingdom of Poland. And from that time, I believe, the crown had been banished from the town coat of Arms, together with the title “The kings town”.

Then, after the end of the Austro-Hungary, for the short time, before the republic had been declared, there might had be the attempt to return the crown, and the title “królewskie miasto” to the town coat of Arms.

Of course all that are only the pure speculations. But – why not?

Hello LittleAlex,

Many thanks for your post, do not forget german cities like Wappen and Heidelberg who also have a crowned lion in their coat of arms, the only real way of finding out would be to contact the College of Heraldry.

I can not help you further on this matter LittleAlex and wish you well in this endeavour

Best wishes

Andrzej