Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Polish fighting knife

Article about: need id on this fighting knife,,any sort of value?...thanks for all replies,,,Robert

Default Re: Polish fighting knife

Robert, again, it all comes down to authenticity. If both are genuine then you have some valuable pieces. I'm not certain about the value of such a fighting knife as I am unaware of any comparable items on the market in recent years. I would venture at least what a genuine dress dagger is worth, and a likely more by virtue of its relative rarity.

However, having said that, my sixth sense doesn't give me positive vibes about this knife. Please don’t take offense. I do own several various edged weapons with blade embellishments, but by no means am an authority. I can safely say I have never seen anything in the way of period blade work like this. I am hopeful someone knowledgeable will weigh in to confirm or dispel my gut feel.

Regards,
    Tony

Is the image reversed? The eagle looks like it is facing right instead of left. Also, in the small shield, it looks like a "1" and not an "L". But if you reverse the image it looks more like an "L". Of course, a "1" would be OK as well, but as I said... the eagle is looking to the right... so...?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post

However, having said that, my sixth sense doesn't give me positive vibes about this knife. Please don’t take offense. I do own several various edged weapons with blade embellishments, but by no means am an authority. I can safely say I have never seen anything in the way of period blade work like this. I am hopeful someone knowledgeable will weigh in to confirm or dispel my gut feel.

Regards,
    Tony
    I have seen some elaborate blade work (read: "trench art") on blades from WW1 (mostly from German troops), but I have not seen a Legion eagle such as this one. Having said that, over the years I have seen period hand-etched Polish Legion eagles on belt buckles, canteen cups, bayonet handles and several other types of flat surfaces, so from my perspective I would say that it's possible this etching could be from WW1. But of course no one can say for sure without closer examination.

Good observation Ivan, although it does seem to me like the eagle is "facing Germany" - i.e in the correct direction. The beak is somwhat faint. Am I seeing it right?

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish fighting knife  

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Good observation Ivan, although it does seem to me like the eagle is "facing Germany" - i.e in the correct direction. The beak is somwhat faint. Am I seeing it right?

T.
    I don't see it that way. I see the head tilted to the right a bit and I see the thing your arrow points to as a crown.

Now, before everyone jumps on me, I am aware that the standard Legion eagles (with the "L" on the small shield) normally did not wear a crown. However, many of the Rifleman's eagles (with the "S" in the small shield) did. Additionally, eagles that bore a numerical designation on the small shield almost always had a crowned eagle.

So - If the image is reversed, as I suggested, then the small shield here looks like there is an "L" inside it. And they usually did not have crowns. But see the attached picture for an image of a "Legion" eagle with a crown (also a one-off piece that in this case was affixed to a Russian saber).

If the image is not reversed, and the eagle is facing left, as you suggest, then a close-up analysis says to me that it is not an "L" in the small shield, but rather, a "1" (and of course we know that most of them wore crowns). See second picture. As I have said before.... you need to examine in person. But I think it's a very interesting piece and if I collected these knives I'd give it a good look...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish fighting knife  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish fighting knife 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2