Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Navy Pilot Badge?

Article about: New guy here - primarily (or almost exclusively) a WWII US collector. But, I have an affinity for Polish stuff. I picked this up today. It felt Polish. Not sure it us, but it was too cool to

?

Default Polish Navy Pilot Badge?

New guy here - primarily (or almost exclusively) a WWII US collector. But, I have an affinity for Polish stuff.

I picked this up today. It felt Polish. Not sure it us, but it was too cool to pass on. Any thoughts are appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Navy Pilot Badge?   Polish Navy Pilot Badge?  

Never seen this style before - WWII Polish wings are
    different. Seems well made. Nice.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks, Steve. Did Poland have naval aviators? If so, did they have a different badge from the PAF? I looked around the internet but didn't find a good answer.

Hello Nack,

The badge in the photograph is the Balloon Pilot/observers Badge 1st class as to its authenticity 1 will leave that to another member of the Forum with more knowledge in that field.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Nack,

The badge in the photograph is the Balloon Pilot/observers Badge 1st class as to its authenticity 1 will leave that to another member of the Forum with more knowledge in that field.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Interesting! Many thanks!

Hello Nack,

Unfortunately it is an old copy. Relatively well made though, as many of the copies made ~50 years ago were. Posted below are genuine pre-WW2 examples by the the two recognized producers of this badge, one by Jan Knedler:

Polish Navy Pilot Badge?

and this beauty by Wiktor Gontarczyk:

Polish Navy Pilot Badge?

. . . which sold complete with original case at auction in 2008 for 14000PLN = ~4600USD = ~2750GBP:

Polish Navy Pilot Badge?

Regards,
    Tony

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Bummer! It is a really nice badge, so I thought it was worth the $20 gamble. Were these made in Poland, or elsewhere? (If there's a thread that explains all of this, just point me to it!). Thanks all for the help!

I suspect this series of badges (identified by the spinner type, assuming it is original to the badge) were made in Poland. Although have no concrete proof of this. $20 is not overpaying for one of these copies. Polish 2nd Republic badges are discussed on this thread here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-thread-14654/

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thanks again, Tony!

After a quick search - an example from 'WW2Wings':

Polish Air Force - Balloon Observer
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast