Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

Hello Everyone,

Some more Faces of Recipients of the Virtuti Militari awarded to 34PP :

Virtuti Militari Thread

Plut. Franciszek Gonera, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3947, 4th Company 34PP.

Virtuti Militari Thread

St.Sierz. Józef Cichoń, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3953, also awarded KN, KW x 3, 8th Company 34PP.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Sierz. later Chor. Jan Patejuk, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3955, 1st Company CKM(Heavy Machine Gun) 34PP.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor. later Kpt. Mieczysław Kaliciński, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3958, 1st Company 34PP, also awarded KW x 4

Virtuti Militari Thread

Sierz. Leon Niedzielski, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3970, 3rd CKM (Heavy Machine Gun) Company 34PP, also awarded KN and 2 Wound Stars.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Kpt. later Major Stanisław Sienkiewicz, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 4221, 1st Company 34PP, also awarded KN, KW, ZKZ, VM Gold Cross Numbered : 183 (September 1939 Campaign).

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por. later Pplk. Józef Stanisław Parczyński, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 4463, 12th Company 34PP, also awarded KW x 4, ZKZ, MN, 3 Wound Stars.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por. Kazimierz Białowąs, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 4464, 2nd Company CKM (Heavy Machine Gun) 34PP.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por. later Major Dypl. Marian Stanisław Chodacki, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 4465, Battalion Staff 34PP, also awarded KW x 3, 2 Wound Stars.

That is all for now more to follow,

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 07-03-2021 at 01:49 PM.

Hello Everyone,

Some more Faces of Recipients of the Virtuti Militari who served in the 34PP :

Virtuti Militari Thread

Sierz. Roman Sadlik, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 390, 2nd Company CKM (Heavy Machine Gun), also awarded KN, KW x 2.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Plut. Stefan Noremberg, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 1648, 4th Company 34PP.

Virtuti Militari Thread

St.Sierz. Władysław Sroka, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 3952, 4th Company 34PP, also awarded KW x 4, 1 Wound Star.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por.later Major later Pplk. Wilhelm Paszkiewicz, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 65, 4th Company CKM (Heavy Machine Gun), also awarded KW x 4 ZKZ etc.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor. later Kpt. Mieczysław Kaliciñski, portait, 1st Company 34PP already shown photograph in previous post

Virtuti Militari Thread

St.Sierz. later Por later Kpt. later Major Jerzy Stanisław Dembowski, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 517, 4th Company CKM (Heavy Machine Gun), also awarded KN, KW x 4, SKZ.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Kpt. Jerzy Stanisław Dembowski.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por. later Major. Stanisław Wultański, VM Legitymacja Numbered : 1590, 10th Company 34PP, also awarded KN, KW x 4, ZKZ.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Kpt. later Major Stanisław Wultański.

Best wishes

Andrzej

I wonder if someone could help me (new joiner to this site - it is amazing). My grandfather was apparently the recipient of the Virtuti Militari (that is what my father told me and i did find a site online which has his name) and I would like to know how i might find out more about hisaward. His name was Jan Korolkiewicz, and was born around 1903-5. He had been in the army in the 1920's and 1930's but let before rejoining in 1937/38 and fought with the 2nd Corps before being discharged in the UK in 1947-48. He was a Captain. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Paul

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your post and may I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, your Father was correct in stating that your Grandfather Kapitan Jan Korolkiewicz was awarded the OrderWojenny Virtuti Militari during World War 2.

His Legitymacja for the Silver Cross was numbered : 10888.

To obtain more information on your Grandfather, I would recommend your contact the following for more information unfortunately 2 of these do charge for their services :

1) The Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum in London to obtain a copy of the Recommendation for the Virtuti Militari.

2) The British Ministry of Defence to obtain a copy of his service record.

3) The Polish Army Records centre to obtain a copy of his service record prior to 1939.

I will do some more research my end to see what else I can find for you about your Grandfather.

Once again Paul Welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello again Paul,

I have done some further research for you and have found the following information for you on your Grandfather Jan Korolkiewicz :

In the Rocznik Oficerski 1932 (Officers Yearbook 1932) he is listed on the index page Numbered 962 it shows him also listed on pages 219 & 691.

Page : 691 is a list of the Officers of the 23 Pułk Artylerii Lekkiej, your Grandfather was listed as a Porucznik (Lieutenant)

Page : 219 is a list of Officers promoted on the 1st January 1932 to the rank of Porucznik, your Grandfather is listed as being 72nd in seniority

Page : 219 also lists his date of Birth : 3rd December 1904.

I have also found your Grandfather listed in the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross, when awarded the Cross his details were as follows :

Surname : Korolkiewicz

Christian Name : Jan

Date of Birth : 1904

Army Number (also found on His ID Tags) : 1904-285-III

Unit : 1 Pułk Artylerii Pomiarowej (1st Artillery Survey Regiment)

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 37534.

That was all that I was able to find for you at the moment Paul, I sincerely hope that it is of some use and help to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Andrzej

Thank you for your very kind welcome, and for the huge amount of detail you have been able to provide. It was very generous of you to help me in this way.

Thanks again.

Paul

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your reply, I was happy to help you : In my post numbered 614, here are the addresses/Websites to obtain information from, about your Grandfather :

1) Central Military Archives
    ul. Czerwonych Beretów 124
    00-910 Warsaw-Rembertów
    Poland-Polska

2) The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum
    20 Prince’s Gate,
    London,
    SW7 1PT,

(please read the attached link to the Museum has regards cost of research)

Postal Enquiries

3) British Ministry of Defence website link below :

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

Both the Sikorski and the M-o-D charge for this service now, with regards to the M-o-D, you must ask for copies of all records that they hold, otherwise you will just receive a one or two page reply outlining his details and service etc.

Hope that this helps you Paul in your search,

Once again Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Some more Faces of Recipients of the Virtuti Militari :

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor. sp. Lucjan Chwałkowski

He was born 6th December 1892 in Praszka in the then Russian Empire, his Father Tomasz along with his wife Cecilia and their Children emigrated to the US in 1905 settling down in New York, prior to the outbreak of the First World War he joined the Polish Falcon Organization, and when the US entered the war he was part of the first class of Polish Officers to train at the School of Infantry in Toronto, from which he graduated in April 1917.

When he arrived in France he applied to be transferred to the Polish Army, this was accepted and he was assigned to the 1st Regiment of Polish Riflemen, on the night of the 9th-10th July 1918, he led a patrol towards the german trenches near Rheims, he was mortally wounded in the battle that ensued. He was carried from the field and transported in an ambulance to Hospital, whilst in the ambulance he repeat the words "It is for Poland", these where he last words, he died whilst being transported in the ambulance.

He was the first Polish Officer killed in France, the French Military authorities posthumously awarded him the Légion d'honneur, and the Polish Army after the 2nd Republic was established awarded him the Virtuti Militari Numbered : 5653 and the KW.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Application for transfer to the Polish Army in France.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor Lucjan Chwałkowski grave at Notre Dame de Lorette.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor Jan Pela another Polish American who fought in WW1 and in Poland between 1918-1921 and was awarded the Virtuti Militari Numbered : 5655, KW and the French Croix de Guerre with 3 Stars.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Major Wojciech Wierzbowski Virtuti Militari Numbered : 2791 also awarded the KN and the SKZ.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Szer. Józef Tosiek Virtuti Militari Numbered : 4099

Virtuti Militari Thread

VM Dyplom Numbered : 4099

Virtuti Militari Thread

Józef Tosiek Application for the KN.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor.sp. Tadeusz Wachal whilst serving in the Polish Legions in WW1 Virtuti Militari Numbered : 8007

Virtuti Militari Thread

Kpt. sp. Mieczysław Głogowiecki whilst serving in the Polish Legions in WW1, Virtuti Militari Numbered : 4170

Virtuti Militari Thread

Kpt.sp. Mieczysław Głogowiecki grave in Płock.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ludwik Patalas in WW1

Virtuti Militari Thread

An admiring touch to some artwork on a plane

Virtuti Militari Thread

Ppor. pil Ludwik Patalas KW

Virtuti Militari Thread

Por pil Ludwik Patalas VM Numbered : 8073 awarded when a Ppor. pil. with the KW.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Major Janusz Mościcki VM Numbered : 1821 also awarded KW with 3 Bars 32PP.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

In the movie 'The Last King of Scotland', Ugandan dictator General Idi Amin (played by Forest Whitaker) is seen wearing the breast badge of the Virtuti Militari in the movie, the eagle appears to have the crown. I just watched this movie last night and had to thought I imagined the scene when this caught my eye.

I believe this is one of two things happened: 1) Hollywood is terrible at historical military accuracy, especially military uniforms or 2) Amin liked the badge so much he decided to wear it (also possible when looking various pictures of him and the medals he created).

This is the best online picture I can find, but in the movie there are several scenes where it's very close, no mistake what it is.

Virtuti Militari Thread

Hello TGAZ,

Many thanks for your Post, the Virtuti Militari Grand Cross was award to only 6 Persons since 1918 2nd Republic, those recipients are as follows :

Grand Cross Numbered : 1

Marshal Of Poland Józef Klemens Piłsudski

Grand Cross Numbered : 2

Marshal of France Ferdynand Foch

Grand Cross Numbered : 3

King Ferdynand 1 of Romania

Grand Cross Numbered : 4

King Albert 1 of Belgium

Grand Cross Numbered : 5

King Alexander 1 of Yugoslavia

Grand Cross Numbered : 6

King Victor Emanuel III of Italy.

Hollywood used artistic licence on this, what a shame they did not ask for some professional help.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Virtuti Militari Thread

Idi Amin wearing his awards not a sign of a Virtuti Militari in sight.

Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast