Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast

Virtuti Militari Thread

Article about: Hi.It's a virtuti militari thread so I'm just curious.Is that original Polish armed forces in the West virtuti with engraved 1944 date on the back? Cheers.

?

Hello,
    I bought this VM cross in flea market out of Poland so I guess chances of it being real are pretty slim.
    The number on the reverse is 9894. Please let me know your opinions.
    Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Virtuti Militari Thread  

Hello Lolek,

The Virtuti Militari silver Cross numbered: 9894 was awarded on the 27th February 1922 to at the time Lieutenant Colonel Katsuichi Ogata of the Japanese Army Later he was promoted to General, born in 1875 he died in 1960. He was an Artillery Officer who worked on the first tank design for the Japanese Army in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

It is a nicely made cross with fine detail, unfortunately I am not an expert on the Virtuti Militari awarded to Foreign Military personnel, hopefully one of the other members will jump in and be able to answer your question in detail.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Thanks so much!! Especially for identifying the awarded person. That would explain A LOT! Again, thank you SO much.

Hello Everyone,

For sale on Allegro not 1 but 2 numbered Virtuti Militari Silver Crosses:

1)

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross obverse

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross reverse numbered: 168

When awarded the recipients details were as follows:

Surname: Andjelewicz

Christian Name: Julian

Unit: 62PP

2)

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross obverse

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross reverse numbered: 710

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross obverse close up

Virtuti Militari Thread

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross reverse close up

When awarded the Recipients details were as follows:

Surname: Mazurkiewicz

Christian Name: Alojzy

Date of Birth: 13th June 1897

Unit: 12th Infantry Division

By 1923 he was serving with 52PP, 1928 he was serving with 3PSP and by 1932 he was a Major Dypl. (Promoted 1st January 1930) serving with the 16th Infantry Division.

By 1932 he had been awarded the following awards:

1) Virtuti Militari Numbered: 710

2) Independence Cross

3) Cross of Valour and Bar

4) Silver Cross of Merit

5) 1918-1921 War Commemorative Medal

6) 10th Anniversary of Independence Medal

I was only able to find one photograph for Pplk. dypl. Alojzy Mazurkiewicz taken in May 1945 which is below:

Virtuti Militari Thread

Pplk.dypl. Alojzy Mazurkiewicz in British Battledress uniform.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default Virtuti militari Knedler?

Hello. Please, identify the VM. In my opinion, this is a Knedler product. The VM is made of silver. No mark. Weight ~20g. I suspect it's empty inside - "inflatable"? Thank you, Adrian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari Thread   Virtuti Militari Thread  

Definitely Knedler pattern. The closed ribbon ring holder suggests pre-war vintage. Although it does have some crude finishing details that are not typically found on pre-war made Knedler crosses. The jury remains out on this one.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Or was the VM repaired by an amateur? Half of the beads are correct. I am surprised by the amateur painting and the remnants of silver plating on the arms. Why silvering? After all, the cross is made of silver.

I also thought that this brutal file mark was a mark from checking whether the cross was made of silver. Maybe someone once wasn't sure and treated him that way. Adrian.

I can buy this cross for 450 euros. Is it a good price?

Hi Adrian, valid questions re. possible repairs, plating, and file marks. None of which are possible to answer conclusively. As far as the price, you'll need to decide that for yourself after researching market results for recent sales of similar crosses. Best wishes.

T.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast