Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Virtuti Militari - My father in WWII - Any Assistance Appreciated

Article about: Hello, I have a couple of photos of photos of my father which were taken in 1945 when he was awarded the Virtuti Militari. I believe, but am looking to confirm, any data anyone may have on h

Default Virtuti Militari - My father in WWII - Any Assistance Appreciated

Hello,

I have a couple of photos of photos of my father which were taken in 1945 when he was awarded the Virtuti Militari.

I believe, but am looking to confirm, any data anyone may have on his military record. My brother was told my father was awarded two Virtuti Militari, but I can only find one reference.

I am trying to find the recommendation for the medal but am not sure where I can find it.

My father's name was Grzegosz Bronicki and I found his medal when I was a kid in a drawer.

I recently looked up his name in the "Cavaliers of the Order of Virtuti Militari, by Prof. Dr. Zdzislaw P. Wesolowski that I purchased and found his name is on page 14:

Grzegosz Bronicki Rank: PPorucznick (Lieutenant) Class 5 Oddzial(Unit?) Pol-Wych Date: 6/26/1945

In one of the photos he is wearing the Virtuti Militari and two ribbons with a total 5 silver stars (3 on one and 2 on the next ribbon) for wounds received in action.

He was born in Waraw, Poland on May 9, 1926 (some records show 1927) he always used 1926.

Thank you
    Gregory Brown
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Virtuti Militari - My father in WWII - Any Assistance Appreciated   Virtuti Militari - My father in WWII - Any Assistance Appreciated  

Hello Gregory,

Many thanks for your post and may I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, I have checked through the Register of the Virtuti Militari by Dr. Andrzej Suchcitz and Professor Wesolowski, without finding your Father listed so I must presume that this was a PRL award.

Gregory I would advise you to write to the Polish Army Records Centre to see what records they hold on your Father, their address is below :

Military Historical Bureau
    Central Military Archives
    ul. Pontonierów 2A
    00–910 Warsaw-Rembertów
    Poland-Polska

Once again Gregory welcome to the Forum and please let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Very interesting and nice photos ! … I hope we learn more about your father!

Sorry for the delay - but thank you very much for your insights and suggestions. It does appear that the medal award in his name is in the PRL listing.
    I will contact Polish Military records.