Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Curious KW award

Article about: I have this huge group (63 items) from a former AK member, later lieutenant colonel (pplk) in WP. Name: Samoraj, Wladyslaw s. Jana. Born: 3.10.1911, Runów. AK pseudonyms: “Babinicz”, “Andrze

Default Curious KW award

I have this huge group (63 items) from a former AK member, later lieutenant colonel (pplk) in WP.

Name: Samoraj, Wladyslaw s. Jana.
    Born: 3.10.1911, Runów.
    AK pseudonyms: “Babinicz”, “Andrzej Babinicz”.
    Participated in the defensive battles of September 1939 and received the Cross of Valor (see photo below).
    After the collapse of the Polish Army he joined the resistance movement (AK) and served at both AK Okreg Wielkopolska (Inspectorate Gniezno, group/area (?) “Nikiel”) as well as in Warsaw (II Distrikt “Zywiciel” (Zoliborz) / AK Okreg Warszawa (Group “Zaglowiec” – platoon 206).
    In February 1947 at 12. Luzycka Heavy Artillery Brigade.
    In September 1951 Jedn. Woj. 1692 (renamed 73 Pulk Artylerii Haubic) i Grudziadz.

My question is basically on his KW. In the photo from 1949 (see below) he is wearing a KW - according to his PZPR book it was awarded in 1939.
    1) This is not possible because KW awarded in 1939 were normally recognized in the 1960s (some in the mid/late 1950s). Not in 1949.
    2) Of course the entry in his PZPR could be wrong date - not 1939 but 1949 instead.
    3) Due to his "history" in AK from 1939-1945 he cannot have been awarded the KW for AK activities 1939-1945, since this was also done in the 1960s.
    4) My conclusion is that he received KW somewhere between 1945-49 - which means anti-partisan fight, not bravery during WW2.

Please give me your opinion.
    I also add a photo of his KZ silver doc from 1947 (Warszawa-Belweder) which is highly unusual for AK members to receive.
    Curious KW award
    Dated 1949 showing a KW on his uniform. Maybe Knedler 1946-48?
    Curious KW award
    Curious KW award
    Obviously a wrong year stated in this PZPR book (1939)
    Please visit my FB to see more documents from Samoraj which may explain something?
    Soren Aahauge | Facebook

It’s hard to say when was he geaven KW, but I think this could be award for WWII but delayed. Not for the period when he was in AK as they were geaven awards from London Government. From what you’ve shown it seems he took part in Warsaw Uprising in district of Żoliborz. Probably he managed to get to the eastern shore of Vistula with retreating 6th infantry regiment which landed on Żoliborz in September 1944 and enlisted to People’s Army, or enlisted after January 17 1945. This was not so incommon, and many former AK soldier were drafted this way. 12 „Łużycka” artillery brigade was formed from 2nd „Łużycka” artillery division which was part of 2nd Polish Army, but also could have been sent there from other artillery unit of 1st Polish Army.

- - ------- - -

It’s hard to say when was he geaven KW, but I think this could be award for WWII but delayed. Not for the period when he was in AK as they were geaven awards from London Government. From what you’ve shown it seems he took part in Warsaw Uprising in district of Żoliborz. Probably he managed to get to the eastern shore of Vistula with retreating 6th infantry regiment which landed on Żoliborz in September 1944 and enlisted to People’s Army, or enlisted after January 17 1945. This was not so incommon, and many former AK soldier were drafted this way. 12 „Łużycka” artillery brigade was formed from 2nd „Łużycka” artillery division which was part of 2nd Polish Army, but also could have been sent there from other artillery unit of 1st Polish Army.

?

BTW>:
    Aahauge type of KW from photo is probably small Knedler/1945-46/