Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting hełm wz. 50

Article about: Hello esteemed members of WRF, I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me with some information about this helmet. It is for sale at the moment and if it is something rare and in

Default Interesting hełm wz. 50

Hello esteemed members of WRF,

I am hoping there is someone out there who can help me with some information about this helmet. It is for sale at the moment and if it is something rare and interested then perhaps I should invest. I am not so wise about these helmets from Eastern Bloc countries, however I do own a Polish wz. 50 produced in 1953. Which is what leads me to believe this looks very similar to a wz. 50 with the chinstrap and overall shape of the helmet (minus the comb on the top). However, inside is what appears to be a wz. 31 helmet liner, where it does not have the external rivets that are similar to the Soviet Ssh-39 helmet. Instead it has the chinstrap posts placed lower, such as on the wz. 31. Could someone enlighten me on what this helmet is?

(I apologize for the low resolution pictures, they are from the sales advertisement)

- Dan

Interesting hełm wz. 50
    Interesting hełm wz. 50
    Interesting hełm wz. 50

You are essentially correct. The shell is that of the wz50, but with an extra crest and a different liner - hence a different pattern of rivets visible on the outside. The wz50 has essentially the same liner fixation as the Russian ssh39 or the Czech vz53, that is, three rivets placed high in the crown.

These helmets were intended for civil defence use, and were in service until the 1980s at least. The liner you have is indeed similar - though not at all identical - to that of the wz31, as you say; but note that these helmets will also have the same liner as the wz50.

These helmets are often found in a black-paint finish, as are so so many Eastern European Civil Defence helmets.

See these three wesbites for more photos and information -

polaco 50 con cimera

.: World War Helmets - Casque Wz 50 OC :.

HE

Greg got it in one!...