Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Monte Cassino Cross

Article about: Hello folks, I have a Monte Cassino Cross numbered 11417 and was wondering if anyone could give me details of the recipient please ??. Wikipedia says that number would have been awarded to a

Default Monte Cassino Cross

Hello folks, I have a Monte Cassino Cross numbered 11417 and was wondering if anyone could give me details of the recipient please ??. Wikipedia says that number would have been awarded to an other rank in the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division but it would be great to have any further information.

Hello Postmark,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, it would be nice to view the Monte Cassino Cross both obverse and reverse, but to answer your question in mean time when awarded the recipients details were as follows:

Surname : Sokołowski

Christian Name : Roman

Date of Birth : 20.10.1925

Place of birth: Łomża

Army Number : (also found on His ID Tags) : 1925-76-III

Unit : 12 Pułk Ułanów Podolskich

Date of Death : 09.07.1944

Place of Burial : Loreto Polish War Cemetery

Grave Number : 16-B-6

Unfortunately there is no online photograph of his grave Postmark, that is all that I was able to find for you on this soldier.

Once again welcome to the Forum and I look forward to seeing photographs of the cross.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,

Many thanks indeed for such a rapid response to my first post, that's very interesting info. I have attached obverse and reverse images from my scanner, hopefully these are OK ??.

Best regards,
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Monte Cassino Cross   Monte Cassino Cross  

Hello Mark,

Many thanks for posting the scans of your Monte Cassino Cross, I sincerely hope that you do not mind me cropping them for all to see.

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thumbs up

That looks much better, thank you Andrzej. The medal has a lovely dark patina and my pictures didn't do it justice - I'm afraid I'm not very good with all this IT stuff

Hello Mark,

What you need now is to make up Roman Sokołowski medal group, he would have also received the following Awards and Badges :

Polish Awards :

1) Medal Wojsko

Monte Cassino Cross

British Awards :

Monte Cassino Cross

1939-1945 Star

Monte Cassino Cross

Italy Star

Monte Cassino Cross

1939-1945 Defence Medal

Monte Cassino Cross

1939-1945 War Medal

Polish Badges:

Monte Cassino Cross

2nd Corps Badge

Monte Cassino Cross

12PULP Badge

With all the above Roman had he lived would have received the medals and Badges with Legitymacja (Award Cards), I have included some for you to see.

Monte Cassino Cross

Medal Wojsko (Army Medal Legit obverse)

Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino Cross Legit obverse

Monte Cassino Cross

2nd Corps Badge Legitymacja

Monte Cassino Cross

12PULP Badge Legit obverse

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thanks again for all this information Andrzej, that would make a lovely group.

Cheers,
    Mark

Very true, Andrzej. But buying those medals and adding them to a genuine MCC would be a total fake ;-) In 20 years this "original" group would be sold, and potential buyers would think all medals came from the same person. I understand your intention of course!
    I'm only speaking of adding medals - not documents since they hold names and numbers. Even the most newbe to collecting would wonder why documents had different recipient names. But adding "possible" medals really hurt my heart as collector and historian ;-)

Hello Aahauge,

Many thanks for your post, it is extremely rare now to purchase a complete Medal group, dealers themselves sometimes break up groups and sell the medals individually. But with purchasing original medals and adding them like the British Stars and Medals to any polish group is never a problem to a collector/Museum.

As long as they are original period medals I do not see the harm.

How long have you been collecting Aahauge.

Best wishes

Andrzej

I've been collecting since 1990. I focus 100% on PRL atm - especially KBW and AK, since those are the topics of my first book (not published yet). I did buy a lot of exile groups back in late 1990s - 2007. I had some sweet connections and a solid income. From 2007 I narrowed down to PRL in general. From 2010 I focused on highranking PRL officers (pplk/plk and generals) + 1945-47 groups. From around 2015 it has mostly been early Security Force (KBW, WOP, SB) and AK.
    I rarely buy individual medals/documents since I really prefer "the whole lot". So most often the document I'm after comes with many other documents, private photos and bits of uniforms etc.

Best regards
    Aahauge