Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?

Article about: The first set is what look to me to be a match box clip with the kotwica carved into the front and "WARSZAWA" on the side. I am completely lost as to what the eagle is. They both f

Default Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?

The first set is what look to me to be a match box clip with the kotwica carved into the front and "WARSZAWA" on the side. I am completely lost as to what the eagle is. They both feel genuine to the touch because they both leave that grimy old metal feeling on your fingertips. The metal on the match box clip feels a lot more sturdy than whatever the metal of the eagle. I also wanted to point out, that the clip has the "WARSZAWA" facing what I would consider to be upside down, assuming the kotwica is on the front of the clip, and not the back. The eagle is strange, at first touch it kind of looks like an old leather, but I can confirm it is metal, especially because it is bent on some areas and it maintains it's shape. But its very precisely cut, so I am not sure if it is pulled off of something, or if they used something else as a stencil. Look at the legs of the eagle, they have very fine cuts to make the feathers. I have no other information about these two items, I just know they're part of a set.

Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?

The second set includes a photograph with a message on the back, part of a hat badge, and what looks to be a hand-carved cigarette box. Again, I have no other information. The cigarette box looks really crude in the sense of it is somewhat misshaped. I can't tell if it is damaged because of the age, because it is hand-made, or because it is not genuine. Everything SEEMS genuine, but it is hard for me to tell due to my limited knowledge.

Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?Can anyone confirm if these two "sets" are genuine? Perhaps provide some other information about them?

All of these pieces seem completely genuine, but I know some counterfeiters have made their fake items look so real that it is hard to tell. Can anyone confirm from my little description here? And can anyone provide any additional history about these?

Other than the hat eagle fragment which is likely a safe bet to be genuine I can't offer you too much in the way of authentication, sorry. Although my spider senses start tingling when I see pieces that share common characteristics such as the two engraved metal items. But having said that, one would also need to question if a fraudster would go the effort of creating such items for what would likely be a paltry return. Thanks for sharing them nonetheless.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Cigarette and match boxes looks as commemorative subjects made for own use (maybe even made by the owner). I don't think it is fake because there are not typical (serial produced and officially used in army) stuff and therefore are not valuable. Their value is only purerly sentimental.
    I have tried to read the text on the back of the picture and it looks like language of Eaestern borderland - mixed Polish and Ukrainian. The letters in words partly derived from Latin and partly from Russian cyrillic alphabet. It looks like message written by someone who was in Leszno garrison comes from East and didn't know Polish language well (a lot of people in Eastern Poland used local language (mixed Polish/Russian or Ukrainian) especially in 20's.
    Translation (not sure it's fully correct):
    To commemorate you (you - adresseed to 2 or more people), served in Polish Army in Leszno, in 9 company of 55 IR
    Ivan Tunka NCO school
    Leszno

What is interesting: Ivan in Polish is Jan and the name Tunka sounds very close to Hunka but for sure first letter is T not H.

Quote by taksometr View Post
    Cigarette and match boxes looks as commemorative subjects made for own use (maybe even made by the owner). I don't think it is fake because there are not typical (serial produced and officially used in army) stuff and therefore are not valuable. Their value is only purerly sentimental.
    I have tried to read the text on the back of the picture and it looks like language of Eaestern borderland - mixed Polish and Ukrainian. The letters in words partly derived from Latin and partly from Russian cyrillic alphabet. It looks like message written by someone who was in Leszno garrison comes from East and didn't know Polish language well (a lot of people in Eastern Poland used local language (mixed Polish/Russian or Ukrainian) especially in 20's.
    Translation (not sure it's fully correct):
    To commemorate you (you - adresseed to 2 or more people), served in Polish Army in Leszno, in 9 company of 55 IR
    Ivan Tunka NCO school
    Leszno

What is interesting: Ivan in Polish is Jan and the name Tunka sounds very close to Hunka but for sure first letter is T not H.
    That is awesome, thank you so much for this information!