Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

YMCA Polish Eagle hat pin

Article about: Looking to find information........my grandmother was with YMCA in Palestine after making her way there with three children from exile in Siberia. Here is her YMCA hat pin along with a photo

?

Default YMCA Polish Eagle hat pin

Looking to find information........my grandmother was with YMCA in Palestine after making her way there with three children from exile in Siberia. Here is her YMCA hat pin along with a photo (not very clear). I saw another post on this but can't find it again. Any comments and or info greatly received. Thank you, Marta
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture YMCA Polish Eagle hat pin   YMCA Polish Eagle hat pin  

Hello Marta,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, what information are you exactly looking for ? , It might be helpful if you could tell us your Grandmother's full Name.

Once again welcome to the Forum

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Marta and welcome,

Quote by marta View Post
    . . . I saw another post on this but can't find it again. . . .
    Perhaps post #4 in this thread:

Cpt. Ludwik Zwolanski, 1st Polish Para Brigade

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hello Andrzej,
    My grandmother was Maria Zemanek. All we know is that she made her way to Anders Army and Palestine after deportation from Lwow to Semipalatinsk. Photos show her with YMCA on her lapel and we have presumably her YMCA hat pin. I was interested when I saw the pin pictured somewhere on this forum but unable to find it again. I have been unable to find out much about the Polish YMCA in Palestine and in Italy around 1944. Thanks, Marta

Hello Marta,

Many thanks for your reply I have looked through records at the PISM without finding your Grandmother listed, I habe also checked through the index of victims of soviet repression without finding her.

I have also checked the MCC Register without any joy.

Would I be correct in thinking that her maiden name was Szafran ?

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hi Andrzej, Yes, she was Szafran and married Stanislaw Zemanek who was executed along with his brother Adam at Katyn, Charkow. (I have both their records from Wojskowe Biuro Historyczne.) My grandmother Maria just doesn't seem to be anywhere and yet my mother and aunt are listed. I have found only one reference to Zemanek in a document from the Polish YMCA at http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.e...ntext=ymcadocs. I just was happy to see reference to the YMCA eagle pin she was wearing. Thanks again, Marta