Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych, Oflag VIIA, Murnau, help needed with signatures

Article about: A considerable number of 53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych [Eng: 53rd Kresy Infantry Rifle Regiment] officers were held at Oflag VIIA, Murnau. Among them was p.pr. Eugeniusz Graff, who

Graff Archive
    ?

Default 53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych, Oflag VIIA, Murnau, help needed with signatures

A considerable number of 53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych [Eng: 53rd Kresy Infantry Rifle Regiment] officers were held at Oflag VIIA, Murnau. Among them was p.pr. Eugeniusz Graff, who was held there until April 1945, having been taken prisoner in October 1939 during combat action defending the Kraków-Lwów line.

This hand painted card, dated 20 July 1941, contains his signature, as well as other signatures - probably those of other 53 PP officers.

Can anyone help in identifying any of these officers’ signatures, or fill in any back-story (not just stuff found on the internet) regarding the 53 PP?

GRAFF ARCHIVE Historical Photographs and Documents

Hello Graff Archive,

Pretty strange but I have looked through the List of prisoners interned in Oflag VIIA Murnau from 1939 to 1945 and have not found the names of Officers that can be easily read from their signatures, e.g. ppor. Machnik Stanisław, Łabucki, Władysław Wojtaś, ppor. Wallas, Hoszałkowski...

And which one is ppor. Graff's signature because somehow I don't see it there...? Only 16 signatures are visible at all.

Regards
    Konrad

Graff Archive
    ?

Konrad, hi,

Graff Eugeniusz signature is fifth down on right hand side. He was 53 p.p. ppor.rez.piech. Oflag VIIA, Murnau prisoner number 15851.

Yes, most of the signatures are hard to decipher. Thank you for your effort, and as a result I can now add:

# Machnik Stanisław. 53 p.p. ppor.rez.piech. Oflag VIIA, Murnau prisoner number 15881.

# Wojtaś Władysław. 53 p.p. ppor.rez.piech. Oflag VIIA, Murnau prisoner number 16858.

So far, I cannot uncover any records for Łabucki, Wallas or Hoszałkowski.

Thanks again.

Ronald

Hello,

Regarding the name Łabucki I have found the following information in the database of the IPN:

53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych, Oflag VIIA, Murnau, help needed with signatures

I assume that this is him as in the signature in front on his surname is the letter W.

And the signature third from the top on the left is "Michalski kpt" - Kapitan (Captain) Michalski.

Regards
    Konrad

Graff Archive
    ?

Konrad,

The Łabucki signature on the 53 p.p. card is interesting, as he does not appear to have been a 53 p.p. officer. His przydział wojskowy is given as P.R.K.Ośr.sap.stryj./Ośr.sap.stryj. - which is curious as P.R.K. was Przysposobienie Rezerw Kobiecych.

Any idea regarding P.R.K.Ośr.sap.stryj./Ośr.sap.stryj.? It beats me.

Sixth signature down on right hand side is Wojtan.

Ronald

Hello Graff Archive,

As I mentioned in my first post sixth signature from the top on the right is named Władysław Wojtaś, not Wojtan:

Regards
    Konrad

PS Ppor. Walerian Łobucki grave at the Church Cemetery in Murnau (Friedhof Murnau, Murnau am Staffelsee, Bavaria)

Graff Archive
    ?

Konrad,

You are absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking of. I must put on my glasses more often!

The photo of the Walerian Łobucki grave at the Church Cemetery in Murnau is an excellent addition . . . and another tiny piece in the enormous puzzle.

To give an idea of the ongoing task in hand here - transcribing and translating - I attach a snapshot example of some of the documents and letters held in the archive. The biggest challenge is deciphering unintelligible Polish handwriting!

Ronald

Hello Graff Archive,

Regarding Kpt. Michalski, I found Kpt. Michał Michalski in the Staff of the 53 Pułk Piechoty Strzelców Kresowych in September 1939. He was a Commander of the 6th Rifle Company of the 2nd Battalion.

Regards
    Konrad

PS In case if there was a problem in translating some unintelligible Polish handwriting maybe I could help.

Graff Archive
    ?

Konrad,

I had some time and had a search through a personnel list I have, and see that in March 1939 he was Commander of the 4th Company of the 2nd Battalion.

Time permitting, I will trawl through all the personnel names to see if any can be matched up to the remaining unidentified signatures.

Thank you for the kind offer of assistance, however I would not like to impose. But if you really enjoy a challenge, I can certainly provide Polish wartime handwriting puzzles to keep you busy! I will send a sample to your email address in due course.

Ronald