Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast

British Awards for Polish Soldiers

Article about: Hi guys. I want to discuss with you one qestion. This is about british awards for polish soldiers. In my opinion, polish soldier can get for service following british awards: 1939/45 Star At

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following photograph earlier today and thought that I would share it with you all :

The above photograph taken in the 1990's is of Zygfryd Wawrzyniec Górski,

Born on the 10th August 1916, Died on the 15th December 1999 in Montreal, Canada

When awarded the British Distinguished Flying Medal his details were as follows :

Trade : Air Gunner

Service Number : 780862

Squadrons : 300 & 307.

He ended the war as a Warrant Officer / Chorąży.

He was also awarded the following Polish Awards :

Silver Cross Virtuti Militari Numbered 9596 awarded when a Sierz.

Cross of Valour with 3 Bars

Air Force Medal with 1 Bar.

British Distinguished Flying Medal obverse and reverse

British Distinguished Flying Medal awarded in 1943 when a St.Sierz.

Wartime photograph of Zygfryd Wawrzyniec Górski in civilian attire.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 09-28-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Hello Everyone,

Another Recommendation this time for an Officer 1st Armoured Division.

Colonel Jan Grajkowski standing to the right front row.

"Colonel Grajkowski has commanded the Signals of the 1st Polish Armoured Division from the formation of the Division, until the end of the Campaign on the Continent.

Throughout this long period he has been tireless in his efforts to maintain and improve the signalling in all its branches throughout his command.

He has shown great gifts and ability as a trainer and organizer, the communications in all units of the Division have been of a high standard and there is no doubt that without this high standard of efficiency the Division could not have achieved the successes in battle which it has done.

That this state of efficiency was reached and maintained was very largely due to the initiative and example of this officer, throughout the Campaign on the Continent as in the period of training in the UK he has displayed great gifts of drive and leadership.

During the battle he has never spared himself and has worked tirelessly to maintain good communications, always visiting the forward positions and advanced units to see for himself and to ensure that the communications were kept open.

The Division owes him a very large debt of gratitude for his fine work in this most vital services of communications".

Recommended by : Major General Rudnicki, GOC 1st Armoured Division.

Dated : 3rd July 1945

Award : O.B.E. (Military Division)

O.B.E. (Military Division) in case of issue.

Pulkownik Jan Grajkowski was born on the 4th December 1897, he was awarded the Cross of Valour for the September 1939 Campaign and a Bar to the Cross of Valour for the Campaign in France-Belgium-Holland-Germany and the ZKZzM (Gold Cross of Merit with Swords). He was also decorated by the French Government with the War Cross with Palms.

In 1954 he applied for and was granted British Citizenship on the 8th July 1954 with Certificate Number : BNA32403

After the end of the war he settled down to Civilian life in London where he died on the 12th April 1965.

Now for some of his items from 1918 to 1947

Promotion Patent for Jan Grajkowski to the rank of Kapitan.

ZKZ Dyplom dated 1939

SKZ Dyplom dated 1936

10 Years Long Service Medal Dyplom

20 Years Long Service Medal Dyplom

Promotion Patent to Major dated 1936

Balachowicz KW Dyplom awarded to Kpt Jan Grajkowski.

French War Cross with Palme Dyplom awarded to Plk. Jan Grajkowski.

Pplk. Jan Grajkowski French Military ID Card Dated 1939.

ZKZzM Legitymacja Numbered 1996 awarded to Plk. Jan Grajkowski in 1945

ZKZzM Legitymacja awarded to Plk. Jan Grajkowski

Pplk. Jan Grajkowski whilst serving in the UK with 1st Polish Corps later 1st Armoured Division.

O.B.E. (Military Division) Letter dated 1949 sent to Plk. Jan Grajkowski with his award.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello there Dear Andrzej!

Kindly ask you to provide possible informatione about following soldiers:

1.S/Ldr major pilot Trzebiński Marian
    Born: 31.03.1913
    military unit: Od 28.12.1942 dowódca 316 Dywizjonu Myśliwskiego, od 06.09.1945 dowódca 317 Dywizjonu Myśliwskiego
    awarded by: VM V kl., 3xKW, 2xML
    died: 06.11.2002 (Barrie, Canada)
    Marian in the middle
    Trzebiński Marian - Lista Krzystka - Polskie Siły Powietrzne w Wielkiej Brytanii 1940-1947

2. F/Sgt chorąży mechanik Gajewski Aleksander
    Born: 11.12.1898
    awarded by: 2xML
    died: 04.03.1981 (Macclesfield, UK)
    British Awards for Polish SoldiersBritish Awards for Polish SoldiersBritish Awards for Polish Soldiers
    Gajewski Aleksander - Lista Krzystka - Polskie Siły Powietrzne w Wielkiej Brytanii 1940-1947

Also want to ask you Andrzej, if I want to obtain their military records, is the way same? Should I contact MOD Polish department?

Regards, Valerii
    Last edited by ValeriiGajewski; 10-13-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Hello Valerii,

Many thanks for your post, the PISM in London has all the service records for the Polish Air Force during WW2, you can by all means try the MoD but you will need proof of kinship (being a relative), might I ask why you require Marian Trzebiński service record. Because both his sons are still living one in the UK and the other in Canada.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you Andrzej!

Trying to help Bozena Babiuch, grand dauter of Franciszek Smolak (Died on 17 May duaring Monte Cassino battle) find his photo.
    As I able to find, he had a best friend Stanislaw Trzebinski, who staied and died in UK on 1964.
    From his probate record I have found that he leave his money and staff to Marian Trzebinski, most of all his
    cousin, because their father's name diffrent:
    Do you know the name of his children Andrzej?
    As I understood most of all one of them, his son Richard Trzebinski from Canada.

Regards, Valerii

Hello Valerii,

Many thanks for your post, the other son is George (Jerzy) who lives in the UK.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

Although already posted (post Nr 293) the following I have found a photograph which is attached below of the initial award ceremony when Field Marshal Alexander pinned the ribbon to his Battledress :

Major Zygmunt Ludwik Stanisław Zawadzki.

"As General Staff Officer 1 of Headquarters 3rd Carpathian Infantry Division, Major Zawadzki's work in the planning and preparation for the battle of Monte Cassino was invaluable. During the period 26th April 1944 to 18th May 1944, he accompanied his Divisional Commander during all his forward reconnaissance's and invariably went forward himself to actual front line positions to gain first hand knowledge of the progress of the battle and the nature of the battlefield. On these occasions his calmness under fire was an inspiration to those around him, he has shown considerable skill as a Staff Officer and his devotion to duty has contributed much. Not only to the successful planning and direction of the Monte Cassino battle, but to that of the subsequent operations in which his division has taken part, up to the breaching of the Gothic Line".

Recommended by : Lieutenant General W. Anders C.B., Commanding 2 Polish Corps.

Approved by : Lieutenant General R. L. McCreery, GOC Eighth Army.

Dated : 19th December 1944.

Award : M.B.E. (Military Division).

M.B.E. (Military Division) in case of issue.

Major Zygmunt Ludwik Stanisław Odrowąż-Zawadzki was born on the 27th November 1911, During WW2 he was also awarded the following awards.

1) Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered : 10758

2) Cross of Valour and Bar

3) Army Medal

4) Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 2004

and from Britain the following :

5) M.B.E. (Military Division)

6) 1939-1945 Star

7) Africa Star

8) Italy Star

9) 1939-1945 Defence Medal

10) 1939-1945 War Medal.

M.B.E. (Military Division) obverse

Field Marshal Alexander pinning the ribbon of the M.B.E. (Mil.Div.) to the Battledress of Major Dypl Zygmunt Zawadzki 7th April 1945.

Field Marshal Alexander also awarded the following the same day :

2 x C.B.E. (Mil.Div.)

8 x D.S.O.'s

10 x O.B.E. (Mil.Div.)

5 x M.B.E. (Mil. Div.)

10 x M.C.

1 x D.C.M.

10 x M.M.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

This the confirmation that Jan Łojewski (my great-grandfather) served in Polish Forces under British Command from 1 July 1940 to 16 June 1947.
    As I read he received british awards: 1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal.
    The document is dated on 31 August 1976. In 1976 he joined the The Society of Fighters for Freedom and Democracy (Polish: Związek Bojowników o Wolność i Demokrację, ZBoWiD).

I try to find those awards in my family.
    But I also looks for more information about him. Do you know where can I find them? I have also his military book (polish: książeczka wojskowa) and veteran card (legitymacja kombatanta) but there is no more informations.

I have also one information about his wife Helena from Institute of National Remembrance.
    She was deported to forced labor in Germany.
    "
    type of forced labor
    employed in industry
    employer
    SCHNEIDERWERKE GMBH
    workplace
    HARTMANNSDORF (CHEMNITZ), Germany
    start date of work
    01-09-1944
    end date of work
    01-04-1945
    "

Hello Everyone,

Regarding Andrzej's post #537 here are the links to the familiy archive photographs of Gen. bryg. Zygmunt Ludwik Stanisław Odrowąż - Zawadzki:

Photographs: Odrowąż - Zawadzki Zygmunt - Archiwum Rodzinne - Zdjęcia, pamiątki

Documents: Odrowąż - Zawadzki Zygmunt - Archiwum Rodzinne - Dokumenty

Regards
    Konrad

Hello Everyone,

In answer to both Konrad's post Numbered : 500 and TMZ's post Numbered : 511,512, 514, I have come across the following photographs which you both might like to see :

Maria Barr in Polish Red Cross uniform (studio portrait)

Maria Barr outside Buckingham Palace holding the open case holding her late husband's Distinguished Flying Cross.

click to enlarge the photographs

Best wishes for the New Year 2022

Andrzej

Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast