Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast

British Awards for Polish Soldiers

Article about: Hi guys. I want to discuss with you one qestion. This is about british awards for polish soldiers. In my opinion, polish soldier can get for service following british awards: 1939/45 Star At

Many thanks, Andrzej, for the photographs. I've already seen these photos.

After the photographs from the family's collection appeared on Facebook, the question arose who is the man in a light coat next to Maria Barr. And the answer is redaktor (editor) Antoni Wasilewski.

Maria Barr gives an interview to journalists, red. Antoni Wasilewski on the left.

Another photo from the family's collection: Maria Barr takes blood, Edinburgh 1944

Happy New Year 2022 to Everyone!
    Konrad

TMZ
    ?

I will just add the photos of Maria Chłusewicz on her weddings:

first to S/L Rex Barr (Barcinski)

and following the confirmed death of her husband Maria was re-married to an officer of 1st Armoured Division- Kpt. Stanisław Grabowski.

Through the magic that is the internet I was lucky to be able to introduce the children of Rex Barr's family (Rex's niece and her sons) to the living children of the Grabowski marriage - the happiest outcome.

I should also register my great thanks to a forum member, Stephane, who was instrumental in providing some very useful papers regarding Kpt. Grabowski.

Best wishes to all for the New Year.

Ted

Hello there everyone!

Does someone know why the 2nd Corp Soldiers have been awarded by the Defence Medal?

I have found one record inside the 3KPAPL chronica.
    From the soldier's words they awarded by that medal for defence operation in Iraq against potential German bomber’s attacks along the British oil fields near Kirkuk and Mosul. Looks like from his words that award for the Polish soldiers was aproved by The King of the United Kindom George VI. How do you think could that be a true story? Does someone saw any British documents?
    Thank you!
    British Awards for Polish SoldiersBritish Awards for Polish Soldiers

Regards, Valerii
    Last edited by ValeriiGajewski; 04-01-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Hello Valerii,

Many thanks for your post hopefully the following will answer your question about the British Defence Medal :

"The qualifying dates for this cupro-nickel medal were 3rd September 1939 to 2nd September 1945 and contrary to popular belief, was harder to qualify for than some of the campaign stars.

Generally speaking it was awarded for three years service in the United Kingdom or six months overseas in territories subjected to or threatened by enemy attack.

Like all other Second World War issues (except for those to Australians and South Africans) it was unnamed".

The above was taken from "British Orders, Decorations and Medals" by Donald Hall.

Hope this answers your question Valerii

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following recommendation last night, the recommendation is for the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross to Pilot Officer Michał Karol Maciejowski :

"This officer fought with an English Squadron in the "Battle of Britain" and then joined his present Squadron, recently commissioned, he was the outstanding victor of the Polish Wing in the operations over Dieppe on 19th August 1942.

In this operation he brought his personal score up to 9 and a half enemy aircraft destroyed and one probably destroyed by the destruction of an enemy bomber and an enemy fighter aircraft, sharing in the destruction of a further enemy bomber.

Since the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal, he has destroyed a further 4 and a half enemy aircraft and he has at all times shown the greatest determination to engage and destroy the enemy".

Recommendation by the Station Commanding Officer RAF Northolt Group Captain Alfred Guy Adnams.

Distinguished Flying Cross in case of issue.

Ppor. pil Michał Karol Maciejowski receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross from Air Commodore Hugh Saunders.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default Jan Kukla Medal Set

Hello Marks65,

Many thanks for your post of the photograph of Jan Kukla's awards including the Distinguished Conduct Medal, I hope that you do not mind me rotating it for all to view :

The Awards of Jan Kukla

Field Marshal Alexander pinning the ribbon of the DCM onto the tunic of Sierz. Jan Kukla.

Recommendation for the DCM signed by General Anders

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Everyone,

The following group of medals are set to be auctioned tomorrow in Lincoln :

Medals awarded to St.Sierz. Albin Socha

Close up of awards

Close up of reverse of the Virtuti Militari Numbered : 9205

Close up of the rim of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

All the above Decorations were awarded to :

Surname : Socha

Christian Name : Albin

Date of Birth : 12th March 1918

Place of Birth : Zborówek

Service Number : 780353

Squadron : 300

1940 Photograph of Albin Socha with fellow members of his crew flying the Fairey Battle.

Albin Socha received his Distinguished Flying Medal on the 11th January 1943 from AVM Rice as per the list shown below :

He survived the war and settled in Lincoln where in 1956 he married Eileen B Richardson (Born in 1927), Albin died on the 2nd or 5th March 2005 in Lincoln Hospital, at the time he and his wife were living at 20 Haffenden Road in Lincoln.

The Cross of Valour is missing 3 Bars he was awarded plus the Air Force Medal, British 1939-1945 Star, Air Crew Europe Star, 1939-1945 Defence Medal and 1939-1945 War Medal. plus any other French Medals he may have been awarded.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Awards for Polish Soldiers  

TMZ
    ?

In post #436 Józef Rozen was detailed as being awarded the MM.

Here is a snip from the VI Troop Commando diary - dated 31 July 1944 - which lists this, together with the mention of an MC for Mjr. Władysław Smrokowski of the same unit.

PISM Archive C.56/I

Regards,

Ted

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following Recommendation for a Air Force Officer for the award of the Air Force Cross:

"This officer has been Flying Instructor and Flight Commander since 26 March 1941. He was promoted to Squadron Leader and became C.F.I. on 3 November 1942. Since then, he has carried out his duties in that capacity in a highly satisfactory and conscientious manner. He is a hard worker and flies regularly with the pupils. He has completed a total of 973.40 hours of which 128.40 hours have been flown during the last six months."

The Recommendation was for Squadron Leader pil. Jan Tadeusz Czerny

Squadron Leader Jan Tadeusz Czerny

In addition to the British Air Force Cross he also received the Polish Cross of Valour, Silver Cross of Merit and the Air Force Medal with 2 Bars, he had already taken part in the Battle of Britain in 1940 flying with 302 Squadron.

He was repatriated to Poland in 1947 and died on the 18th February 1991

Major Jan Czerny grave

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast