Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Article about: Dear friends, I would like to propose posting a new thread with regards to the Krzyz Waleczny or Cross of Valour. i love this medal it is a personal favourite of mine. What i hope hope to ac

?

Default Palestine cross of valour

Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hello is this the Palestine Meade wartime version of the cross of valour? Regards Adrian

Hi Adrian, this cross was made in the U.K. The maker was unknown until recently when it has been suggested that the maker was London based Grupa Techniczna. I've yet to see any proof of his however.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello,
    First of all, many THANKS, as always, to all those who, above, share their knowledge (and pictures of theirs collections) on this forum!
    I have a question about my KW.
    Is it a REAL Spink, as it is written inside the box?
    The cross is very nice and crisp, but I am not skilled enough (yet) to judge it "for sure"…
    Thanks in advance for opinions!

PS. On the reverse, the sword’s right guard looks somehow like broken, maybe it is a clue: copy?

Hello Gazal Al Shaqad,

Many thanks for your post, the case is a genuine Spink and Son, but the Cross of Valour is not a Spink's produced Cross of Valour, the images below are of a Spink's produced Cross of Valour :

Spink made Cross of Valour obverse

Spink made Cross of Valour reverse.

The one you have shown is possibly a post war veterans Cross produced in London.

Hopefully one of the other Forum members will recognise the producer of the Cross and will post the answer for you

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,
    THANK YOU very much for Your answer, for taking time to look.
    I had little doubts too. Maybe someone will tell more…
    I have another one, a pre-war KW with a French-made ribbon, but can not put hands on it for a moment, it is buried somewhere in my stuff, will post pictures if I find it.
    Best wishes to You too! THANKS again!

Hi Gazal, despite not being a Spink product your cross is considered genuine. Based on my research this cross was produced for sale to veterans as duplicate copies and replacement for missing/lost officially awarded crosses. The cross is unique among exile era version due to its unusual proportions and the barrel suspension.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hello Tony,
    THANK YOU very much for Your answer!
    This is interesting. Yes, the "barrel suspension"…
    So, maybe the decorated person lost his Spink KW and replaced it with this one inside a Spink’s box.
    Anyway, I will keep them together.
    THANKS again, ALL the best!
    G.

Default Cross of Valor Stanislaw Gojdz

Stanisław Gojdź b. January 1, 1914 in Prokopowicze, province of Nowogródek. Son of Józef and Teofilia née Ósmak. Warrant officer - bomber (dispatcher).
    In September 1939, in the 5th Vilnius Air Regiment, he took part in a defensive war against the German. On September 18, 1939, he was interned in Latvia.
    When Latvia was taken by the USSR, he was arrested and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp: Pawliszew Bór, then to labor camps - in Murmansk, Ponoj in the far north of the Kola Peninsula and then Juża. After his release from on September 4, 1941, he joined the General Anders army, and then, via Murmansk, he joined the Polish air force in Great Britain.
    He was a bomber of the Polish bomber Squadron 300 based in Lincolnshire. On 05.05. - 26.06. In 1943 he took part in the bombing of enemy targets in Germany and Western Europe. On July 13, 1943 - April 9, 1944, he took part in 34 operational flights of the Polish Special Duties Squadron 138 - 1586 (301 Squadron) with the base in Tempsford, England, and then Brundisi in Italy. With his crew he supplied the Home Army in Poland and drops "Cichociemni" and supplied organizations of the resistance movement in other countries of occupied Europe. After graduating from Glasgow School of Economics, he moved to Australia. He has worked as an accountant for Australian airlines and Australian television. Awarded: Cross of Valor (three times), Defense Air Medal “Polska Swemu Obrońcy” (twice), Medal for Participation in the Defense War of 1939 (posthumously), the Cross of Combat Action of the Polish Armed Forces in the West, the Home Army Cross and British; War Star 1939-1945, Star of the Atlantic, Air Crew Europe Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, Defense Medal, War Medal 1939-1945. He died on 04/12/1997 at the NSW Way-Way in Australia.

After arriving Australia he changed his name to Stan Grant. In the attached photos Stanisław Gojdź is decorated by the commander-in-chief with the Cross of Valor (for the second time). The ceremony took place at the squadron base in Brindisi (Italy) in March 1944.

His son (my cousin) from Australia informed me that unfortunately all his father's decorations were stolen. We are going to rebuild the collection by purchasing original medals. The only problem is the cross of valor.
    I would like to ask you as experts what type of cross of valor Stanislaw Gojdź was decorated - bearing in mind that it took place in Brindisi, Italy in 1944. Were those crosses of valor brought with a delegation of the Commander in Chief from Great Britain or those crosses were of the Palestinian type provided by the 2nd Corps? I will be very grateful for your opinion.
    Cross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile TypesCross of Valour (Krzyz Walecznych) - Exile Types

Hello Botmalin,

Many thanks for your post, it is a shame that your Uncles Medals were stolen, from the photograph with Bishop Józef Feliks Gawlina, it looks like it may be a Spink and Son made Cross of Valour, basically from the ribbon being so close to the cross itself if it had been the Cross of Valour made by the firm of Kretschmer & Sons of Jerusalem there would have been a larger distance between the Cross and the Ribbon.

The other thing I would also mention Botmalin is with regards to the British Awards (Stars and Medals)

1) 1939-1945 Star

2) Atlantic Star (if awarded this first the Air Crew Europe Star, would be denoted by a Bar worn on the Ribbon), it all depends on which one he was awarded first.

3) Africa Star

4) Italy Star

5) 1939-1945 Defence Medal

6) 1939-1945 War Medal

If he was awarded the Air Crew Europe Star beware of copies.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Botmalin, I would agree with Andrzej that the cross is most likely a Spink. The Spink crosses are the most frequently encountered in original wartime issue Polish Air Force groupings. And yes, if you're in the market for an Air Crew Europe Star beware of copies. Same with the Polish Air Force medal, originals are quite rare and copies abound.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast