Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Document collection - help please

Article about: Gentlemen, I have never posted on this sub forum, but I would like to share (and learn about), the only Polish items in my collection. These documents and sewing kit, from Lance Corporal Hen

?

Default Document collection - help please

Gentlemen,
    I have never posted on this sub forum, but I would very much like to share (and learn about), the only Polish items I have in my collection. These documents and sewing kit, belonging to Lance Corporal Henryk Żaboklicki, were given to me by the Soldier’s grandson, a college friend, way back in the early 1980s.
    I particularly like the sewing kit, as a tangible link to this veteran, and something he would have carried with him wherever he went.. clearly Italy, with (I think) the 5th Rifle Brigade.

There is one card which appears to have belonged to another soldier, and an anti-Bolshevik/anti-British propaganda leaflet believed to be of German origin. The 1946 divisional newsletter is very faint, but I hope mostly legible. There are a few more bi-lingual documents relating to his post-war placement, as a forestry worker in the south of England, with the Polish Resettlement Corps - a poignant reminder of the loss of his homeland.

I am afraid I do not speak Polish, so have little understanding of what details the documents carry, and would very much like to learn and record all information I can about this Soldier’s service.
    My sincerest thanks for your kind assistance,
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Document collection - help please   Document collection - help please  

Document collection - help please   Document collection - help please  

Last edited by Kohima; 09-13-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Hello Rob,

Both soldiers served in the 14 Wileński Batalion Strzelców "Żbików" (Vilnius Rifle Battalion "Wildcats") which was a part of the 5 Wileńska Brygada Piechoty (5th Vilnius Infantry Brigade). Both fought in the Battle of Monte Cassino in May 1944 in the same Unit for which they were awarded the Polish Commemorative Monte Cassino Cross.

Starszy strzelec (Lance Corporal) Aleksander Hajduk (born 1910), Army Number: 1910-46-III, awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered 16407. However he is listed as Starszy sierżant (Sergeant Major) on the bellow link's list, but I assume that it is some mistake.

Strzelec (Rifleman) Henryk Żaboklicki (born 1925), Army Number: 1925-25-III, awarded the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered 16877.

14 Wileński Batalion Strzelcow "Żbikow" - krzyz.montecassino.eu

The document you posted is the Certificate of graduation from the NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) School by Rifleman Henryk Żaboklicki from 5th April to 12th May 1945 with a distinguishing result issued in Italy on 12th May 1945 on which is the stamp of the Headquarters of the 5th Polish Rifle Brigade and signed by the School Commander (left) and Brigade Commander Certified Lieutenant Colonel Wacław Jacyna (right).

The another document you posted is the Polish Indentification Card of Rifleman Henryk Żaboklicki valid until 14th April 1943 issued in the 11th Rifle Battalion and signed by the Unit Commander Certified Lieutenant Colonel Władysław Niewiarowski. 11th Rifle Battalion it was an infantry unit of the Polish Army in the East. The Battalion was formed on 25th October 1942 in the Khánaqín camp in Iraq. In March 1943, the 11th Rifle Battalion was included in the structures of the 14th Rifle Battalion "Wildcats".

Regards
    Konrad

?

Thank you so much, Konrad!
    I am staggered by the amount of information you have found and provided.. (I’m struggling for words)! I cannot thank you enough.
    To think that so much history is tied up in these few bits of paper, that those two Cassino veterans carried them, that the little sewing kit is probably a Monte Cassino veteran too! It’s just amazing.
    You have made my week..
    I am just about to have a look at the link.

I suspect I shall be searching for a few pieces of ‘Wildcat’ insignia now.. Can you recommend any good sources for original Polish badges? Not easy to come by, I know.
    If only I could find one of those two crosses..

Thank you once again, and again.
    Rob

Hello there Dear Kohima and welcome!

Looks like we have some connection with your friend
    by the line of my great grandfather's friend Hajduk Aleksander Kirilovich. Our familis were neighbors.
    When WW2 over(on april 1951) my family and Hajduk Aleksander with his wife Zinaida were deported to Sybiria, Irkutsk region, Cheremchowo.
    My great grandfather's family returned only on 1957, Hajduk Aleksander came back through 20 years only somewhere on 1970s. His address of living was Belarus, Grodno region, Mosty city, Zaniemanskay street 12.
    With his wife Zinaida unfortunately they didn't have children, only nephews.

I'm trying to find his military photos.
    Looks like that your friend - grandson of Henryk Zaboklicki can have some.
    Most of all Aleksander and Henryk were friends, but one of them staid in UK either other one repatriated back to USSR.
    May be it will be possible from your side ask him to post his family photos for me? Will be very grateful to you for that.

In my earlier post on facebook where I tried to find some photos I have posted available for me information about Hajduk Aleksander:
    „SITWA RYSIÓW, ŻBIKÓW I WILKÓW” - 5 WILEŃSKA BRYGADA PIECHOTY

Also post for you his house photo (in front)
    From the right side house of my great grandfather Gajewski Walerian (3 KPAPL):

Regards, Valerii
    Last edited by ValeriiGajewski; 09-14-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Some additional information for you Kohima about Henryk Żaboklicki (from IPN and base.memo databases):

1) Write surname - Żaboklicki
    Wyszukiwanie - Indeks Represjonowanych
    2) Списки жертв — Жабоклицкий Гендрих Казимирович

Regards, Valerii

?

Valerii, thank you for this new information!
    I am astounded.. Such a remarkable, and tragic, history.
    And a remarkable coincidence that your great grandfather was Mr. Hajduk’s neighbour!

I regret to say, however, that I have not seen any of my old college friends since leaving college in about 1985, so I cannot help with photographs, I am afraid.
    Interestingly, my friend’s name was Kaz.. after his great grandfather, perhaps.

Thank you for the photographs of Mr. Hajduk’s memorial stone.. it is wonderful to finally know what he looked like.
    Thank you,
    Rob

?

A search of this very forum has revealed that Strz. Zaboklicki’s Monte Cassino Cross was sold at auction, as part of a collection of fourteen, sometime in December 2018!
    Regrettably, that is where the trail seems to end..

Edit: Completely misunderstood the post! In my defence, I don’t speak a word of Polish and I’m really struggling with this..
    It seems another set of medals was sold, but Henryk Zaboklicki is listed as a recipient of the Polish Cross of Valour!
    Last edited by Kohima; 09-15-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Hello there Robert!

Looks like you catch wrong with informatione from the post#2694 as me first.

That lot was only for the items of Zajkowski Aleksander.
    I have contact with the seller from allegro. He approve that it was only Zajkowski items, without anything else:

P.s.: Dzień dobry, dokumenty były wystawione na nazwisko Zajkowski.

The list of soldiers in the that post also include informatione about soldiers from 14 BS(5KDP) with the letter "Z", who were awarded by KW (Krzyz Walecznych) and didn't include any items from them inside that lot.
    Think that the Zaboklicki Henryk's items still hold by his son Kazimierz.

Regards, Valerii

?

Kohima Would it be possible to buy the ID card or exchange it for other souvenirs?
    Regards
    Szymon