Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to date or find information from Polish dog tags (british made) ?

Article about: Hello all, I have a very technical question : do you know if it is possible (or not) to get information about a Polish serving in Free Polish Forces only with a part of his army number, the

Default How to date or find information from Polish dog tags (british made) ?

Hello all,
    I have a very technical question : do you know if it is possible (or not) to get information about a Polish serving in Free Polish Forces only with a part of his army number, the same mentionned on his dog tags ?
    Can we date when the dag tag was made ?
    Can we identify the possible unit ?
    For example, for a man with 27/I, or 3/I, do the number indicate a date ? Only a date ? A unit ? A possible unit ?
    My question for the Irst Corps, but the same for the 2nd Corps would be VERY interesting also I think.
    Regards.
    Stephane

Hello ze-pole,

Many thanks for your post, in answer to your question without a Name or Year of Birth it would be impossible to identify a person, you can not date when a ID Tag was made it would have been made during WW2.

The 27/I or 3/I indicate that the individual was the 27th Person to Register for that year and 3rd person to Register for that year.

The ID Tag gave Christian and Surname, Religion, Army Number and the AP for the Polish Army.

The same principle would apply to the 1st Corps and the 2nd Corps the only difference is that the 1st Corps troops would have say for sake of argument 1913/27/I whilst a 2nd Corps ID Tag would have 1913/27/III.

Hope that this answers your question ze-pole.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,
    Thank you for your prompt answer.
    The problem with the dog tags, that's the fact we can't identify the unit with only the dog tag information.
    For example : dog tag with mention : "AP, CEBULA Franciszek, born in 1905, RZ KAT, 27/I". He can be in 1rst PAD, paratroopers' brigade, 16th Armored Brigade, 4th Infantry Division.
    I had written an article about the Polish dog tags some years, in a French Militaria newspaper, but without asking myself about the possibility to find the unit only with the part of armry number. And sometimes, in my strange head, some question appear...
    THANK YOU for your very quick message again !
    Regards.
    Stephane