Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

I love Monte Cassino crosses

Article about: Hello, I have two questions about Monte Cassino crosses: 1) I have one MC cross that appears to be original, but it is unnumbered on the reverse...was it unissued? 2)I was wondering if someo

Default I love Monte Cassino crosses

Hello,
    I have two questions about Monte Cassino crosses:

1) I have one MC cross that appears to be original, but it is unnumbered on the reverse...was it unissued?

2)I was wondering if someone can help identify a few of my Monte Cassino Crosses. I have been collecting them for a while, and would love to put a name to them if possible
    I noticed that member Andrzejku does a great job
    If anyone else can help, it will be very appreciated

The numbers are: 46728; 32354; 31717; 3264; 45588; 5497; 25794; 16824; 6761; 6582; 45928 and 30841

Thanks in advance

Default Re: I love Monte Cassino crosses

I'd love to see some pictures

Hi Gizmo8z
    I was going to wait until I have them organized, but here a few photos. Most of them have other accompanying medals and paper work (i.e. the MC's are part of a grouping).

All are original except for one ribbon on the MC in the lower left corner, which is a modern replica ribbon (its the brightest in colour) as the original one is too frail for mounting.

I want to organize them into a display, but thought it would be nice to first learn about their recipients, and to go from there.

Sorry the photos turned out a little dark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I love Monte Cassino crosses   I love Monte Cassino crosses  

?

Never seen one before. Thanks for showing.

Hi BDinExile,

In answer to your first question, I would say that it is probably a copy.

In answer to your request on information on the recipients of the Monte Cassino Crosses you have, I have gone through The following web sites: National Archives, The London Gazette, Ancestry.co.uk, Find my past, Index of Victims of Soviet repression, 3rd Carpathian Division Soldiers, Google Name Search, Google Book Search etc.

It has taken me in all over 12 hours of research to come up with the following information for you:

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 3264 was awarded to: Kanonier (Gunner/Artilleryman) Grzegorz Chwaszczuk, Born in 1920, Army Number: 1920/40/III, Unit: 2KPAL (2nd Carpathian Light Artillery Regiment. Awarded the Cross of Valour 1939-1945.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 5497 was awarded to: Kapral (Corporal) Tadeusz Jaworski, Born in 1908, Army Number: 1908/2/III, Unit: K.Gl.3DSK (HQ 3rd Carpathiam Rifle Division) ended the war has a Plutowny (Lance Sergeant).

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 6582 was awarded to Ogniomistrz (Artillery Sergeant) Marian Kwiecinski, Born in 1905, Army Number: 1905/4/III, Unit: 3KPpanc (3rd Carpathian Anti Tank Artillery Regiment) ended the war has a Starzy Ogniomistrz (Artillery Staff Sergeant).

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 6761 was awarded to Saper (Engineer) Mieczyslaw Kwiatkowski, Born in 1925, Army Number: 1925/25/III, Unit: 3KBnS (3rd Carpathian Engineers Battalion.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 16824 was awarded to Kapral (Corporal) Jerzy Wojtanowski, Born in 1911, Army Number: 1911/135/III, Unit: z 14 Baonu Strzelcow, 5KDP. (14th Wilenski Rifle Battalion, 5th Wilno Infantry Brigade, 5th Kresowa Infantry Division.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 25794 was awarded to Sierzant (Sergeant) Jakub Rothenberg, Born in 1899, Army Number: 1899/68/III, Unit: z Dowodztwo Saperow (5th Kresowa Division Engineers Battalion.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 32354 was awarded to Plutowny. Pch. (Lance Sergeant, Officer Cadet) Zdzislaw Mularski, Born in 1923, Army Number: 1923/145/III, Unit: 2nd Group Artillery Staff.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered:30841 was awarded to Pancerny (Tankman) Jan Swiecinski, Born in 1919, Army Number: 1919/320/III, Unit: z Pulku 6 Pancernego "Dz.Lw." 2 Brygada Pancernego (6th Children of Lwow Armoured Regiment, 2nd Armoured Brigade) later 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 31717 was awarded to Kapral (Corporal) Bronislaw Polanski, Born in 1912. Army Number: 1912/137/III, Unit z 9 Kompanii Zaopatrywania, 2 Brygada Pancernego ( 9th Supply Company, 2nd Armoured Brigade) later 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division.

Bronislaw and his wife Katarzyn became Naturalised British Citizen's on the 28th March 1968 whilst living at 6 Amherst Road, London, W13, both are listed as having No Occupation.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 45588 was awarded to: Szer (Private) Wladyslaw Mozolak, Born in 1908, Army Number: 1908/168/III, Unit: 61st Artillery Supply Platoon.

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 45928 was awarded to Sekcyjna (Corporal in Polish Army Womens Auxillary Service) Jadwiga Bembnowicz, Born in 1910, Army Number: 1910/132/III, Unit: 318 Komp. Kantyn i Bibliotek (318th Canteen and Library Company).

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 46728 was awrded to: Kapral (Corporal) Stefan Gonczarek, Born in 1898, Army Number: 1898/122/III, Unit: 15 Kompania Warsztatowa (15th Workshop Company). Stefan died in Brent, London in 1984.

I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Andrzejku,
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your dedication and effort to uncover the individuals who received these crosses.
    I am indebted. This will contribute a personal angle to my MC collection.

Andrzejku, once again, the genererous sharing of your time and effort to assist our forum members is much appreciated

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Ashantee
    ?

Hi Guys,

New to this forum but have noted lots thats of interest to me.
    I mainly collect British Victorian Medals, as with I believe all collectors we tend to wander a little. I have picked up a Monte Cassino Cross , it is numbered 27774. Can anyone assist with information on his name and war service.

Thanks Rick

Hello Rick,

And welcome to the Forum, you requested information on the recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 27774, this Cross was awarded to:

Surname: LANDOWSKI

Christian Name: Franciszek

Date of Birth: 1905

Fathers Name: Franciszek Landowski

Army Number: 1905-43-III

Unit: z 15 Kompani i Zaopatrywania, 5KDP

Franciszek was arrested in Wlodzimierz on Monday 18th September 1939 and Joined the Anders Army at Tatiszczewo on the 3rd September 1941.

I could not find any mention of him in the London Gazette, but did find a reference to a Franciszek Landowski's death in Cardiganshire in 1983.

That's all that I could find on him, I hope that the above information is of some use and help.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Ashantee
    ?

Hi Andrzejku,
    Thanks for the information, anything you want researched over here please let me know.
    Thanks again
    Rick