Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 50 of 536 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

Hello Everyone,

Up for Auction later this month in London is the following Monte Cassino Cross Group, consisting of Cross of Valour, Army Medal, Monte Cassino Cross Numbered 11878 and Polish Peoples Republic Freedom and Victory Medal.

When taking a close look at these medals the Latin phrase "Caveat Emptor" (Buyer Beware) springs to mind, both the Army Medal which is the Later issued 2nd Type refered to as Swiss Made and the Monte Cassino Cross both have replacement suspension rings of different metal also the Numbering Font on the MCC is different to original issued crosses.

I will leave you to make up your own mind, click on the photographs to enlarge.

Monte Cassino cross

Medal Group Obverse

Monte Cassino cross

Medal Group Reverse

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej, add the inconsistent ribbon wear and it points to a cobbled together set. I haven’t yet come across this particular copy of the MC cross. The serial number font is different from the bogus ones I’m aware of. However, giving the benefit of the doubt one cannot discount the possibility of a “legitimate” veteran’s replacement commissioned replace a missing original. Does the auction house provide the name of the veteran, and if so does the number correspond?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello Tony,

DNW have attributed the MCC to Gunner Marian Szpak 3KPAPL, I have known Brian Simpkin for some years I first met him when he worked for Spinks in St James's and even then he used to tell me that they had a contact at the Sikorski to verify certain items.

MCC Nr 11878 was awarded to Kanonier Marian Szpak, Born in 1924, Army Number: 1924-54-III, 3KPAPL, I also checked the 3DSK website created by Stankiewicz who does not list a KW as being awarded to Szpak.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thanks Andrzej. So it appears they've contacted the Sikorski with this one as well in order to run the number. Your research with the 3DSK data base further confirms our doubts about this group. Not the first time we've seen this, and won't be the last.

Regards,
    T.
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 09-11-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: typo
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Andrzejku any information available on cross 44139? Thank you Michal.

?

Hello fine people. I have had this Monte Cassino cross for a number of years & I am wanting to verify if it's authentic & if it is, any information about it. Note - The cross is a lot darker than the photo shows.

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

Hello Bull, your cross is genuine. It is one of the surplus unawarded crosses. These were stored in the London vaults of the Polish Exile Government until about 1990 when they were put on the market and sold. These surplus crosses typically have their original dark oxidized finish fully intact as a result of being spared the wear and tear of circulation.

Cheers, Tony

Monte Cassino cross
    My great-grandfather medal

Hello Michal,

Apologies for the delay in answering I have had a few problems with my PC, anyway the Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered44139 are as follows:

Surname: KRYGIER

Christian Name: ABRAM

Date of Birth: 1921

Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1921-109-III

Unit: 22 Kompania Transport

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Thanks so much for the information Tony. I'm happy to here its genuine, especially after finding out that what I thought was a legit pre-war Polish Eagle cap badge, was a fake - this is posted elsewhere on the site :-(
    Any idea how many of these surplus unawarded crosses were put on the market back in 1990?

Page 50 of 536 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 150 ... LastLast