Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 418 of 537 FirstFirst ... 318 368 408 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 428 468 518 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 5361

Monte Cassino cross

Article about: I dont htink about this like a collection maybe it is naive but it is a part of my family and describe the brave men which hard to find these days.Some award documents.tedAttachment 356198At

And me also. Marek Gliński.

Hello Everyone,

Face of a Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Sierżant (on the photo as Sergeant Major) Zygmunt Gawłowski, Army Number: 1902-84-III, Unit: 6 Kompania Sanitarna, MCC Nr 26835

Monte Cassino cross

Sierżant Zygmunt Gawłowski (marked with X) and company soldiers decorated with the Monte Cassino Cross probably by Commander of the 6KS Kpt. Bolesław Wierzchoń (Army Number: 1908-26-III, MCC Nr 26785), 16th September 1945.

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino cross

Corpus Christi Procession, 3rd June 1945 (Sunday), but the Feast of Corpus Christi in 1945 was on 31st May (Thursday), so this procession took place within the octave of the Corpus Christi.

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino cross

Zygmunt Gawłowski (marked with X), "In captivity", 18th September 1940, in Siewżełdorłag, Komi RA Oblast. The frosts reached -50 deg. C and even -60 at night, the soldiers worked hard at building railway tracks and clearing the forests of Siberia.

After the end of the war he returned to Poland.

The photos were donated by the daughter of Zygmunt Gawłowski to the Archives of New Files in Warsaw, Poland.

Regards
    Konrad

Hello Everyone,

One more Face of a Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross:

Monte Cassino cross

Strzelec Walenty Kubiś, Army Number: 1923-128-III, Unit: 1 BSK, MCC Nr: ?, also awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross (VM kl. 5)

Monte Cassino cross

Virtuti Militari Silver Cross and Monte Cassino Cross awarded to Strz. Walenty Kubiś

Monte Cassino cross

He was born on 14th February 1923. After the outbreak of the war in September 1939 he was arrested by the NKVD and then in February 1940 he was sent to the village of Noszul-Baza in the Priłuzski region in the Komi Republic. After his release from soviet captivity on 28th August 1941 he joined the Anders Army. From February 1944 as a soldier of the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division of the 2nd Polish Corps he took part in the Italian Campaign where he was wounded twice.

Monte Cassino cross

Walenty Kubiś with his daughter Victoria, post war photo

Monte Cassino cross

Walenty Kubiś with his family, post war photo

After the war he remained in exile in Great Britain and settled down in Derby. He did various jobs and then he found work at a textile mill. He married in 1956 and moved with his wife to New Jersey convinced by his siblings who lived there. But after a short time they returned to Derby. He died on 7th December 2020 in Derby at the age of 97.

Regards
    Konrad

Hello Konrad,

Just to add a little more information, he was born in Wołyń and had 5 Brothers and 5 Sisters :

His Monte Cassino Cross is numbered : 7222

His Virtuti Militari Legitymacja is numbered : 10468

He lived in Shelton Lock for over 41 years

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello there Andrzej!

Is it possible from you side to provide some informatione about the MCC #26023 of Franiszek Smolak - żołnierza 5 Batalionu Łączności 5 Kresowej Dywizji Piechoty.

Yesterday I got a private message from his granddaughter
    Bożena Babiuch, which trying to find his MCC & legitymacja.

Looks like he was killed during the Monte Cassino battle in 1944.

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

Do you know something more about destiny of MCC those soldiers who was killed on the battlefield?

Did their families get this award?

Thank you!

Regards, Valerii

Hello Valerii,

Many thanks for your post, with regards to Franciszek Smolak who died of wounds at Monte Cassino.

Surname : Smolak

Christian Name : Franciszek

Date of Birth : 29th April 1910

Fathers Name : Paweł

Born in : Turża

Army Number : 1910-236-III

Date of Death : 17th May 1944

Grave Number : 7-A-17

Service File with the Polish Army Records Number : X4461

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 26023.

Franciszek Smolak was the fourth person listed in the Battalion has being killed at Monte Cassino

After the end of the war belongings of Personnel Killed during the war were held by the Government in Exile, I know that in the last couple of years the British Ministry of Defence has returned the Army Records of those personnel killed during World War 2 to the Polish Army Records Centre.

I would therefore advise Bożena Babiuch, to contact them at the address below to see what happened to her Grand Fathers effects :

Central Military Archives
    ul. Czerwonych Beretów 124
    00-910 Warsaw-Rembertów

After the end of the war in Europe countries were in turmoil and especially in Poland where they lost territory in the East and gained territory in the West, people where moved and lost contact, although they could have tried the Red Cross who was still working tracing Polish Soldiers and their Families into the 1950's.

Hopefully Bożena will find out by contacting the Army Archives.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default MCC 4713 Gajewski Walerian

Thanks a lot for your help Andrzej!

Also I would like to share with you how I changed
    The MCC #48909 from unawwarded items(which I bought
    on allegro) to my great grandfather's original number 4713.

Here some photos of the MCC #48909 before any manipulation:

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

This process went through in two steps:

1) I took it to the jewerly workshop
    and they filled the old numbers by the metal.
    After that they create a template with a new numbers, using the original backside photos of the MCC.
    After that using a laser machine they create a new numbers (post some video how this process looks like):

And the last step from their side were paling and galvanizing(post some photos with the result):

Monte Cassino crossMonte Cassino crossMonte Cassino cross

2) I was satisfied with the work done overall, but decided to go through one more step, because it was some footprints from the other metal, there the old numbers were.

I found one more workshop which specialized on the galvanization only.
    They decided to cover this cross with the one more layer of cooper and make some patina shild with chemical reagents after.(here some photos of my final result):

Regards, Valerii

Hello Everyone,

Another Face of a Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino cross

When awarded the Monte Cassino Cross the Recipients details were as follows :

Rank. Kanonier (Artilleryman)

Surname : Gdulewicz

Christian Name : Zbigniew

Date of Birth : 22nd September 1922

Army Number : 1922-18-III

Unit : 3KPPpanc (3rd Carpathian Anti Tank Artillery Regiment)

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered : 4690

By the end of the war he had been promoted to Bombadier (Lance Corporal-Artillery), he had also been awarded the Silver Cross Virtuti Militari, Legitymacja Numbered : 11609.

But all of the above had come at a cost to the young 22 year old he lost his right leg and toes from his left foot, years after the war he also lost his left leg, this brave young man died on the 26th December 2004 in Edington Hospital, North Berwick.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Default Medal box & awwards

Hello there Everyone!

I would like to post today the result almost
    8 mounth reaserch & work for my great
    grandfather's awwards restore process.

First of all I want to say a Great Thank You for Everyone who helped me in this interesting reaserch. One year ago I coudn't even think that some day kind like that can happend with me. Thank you warrelics & one more time thank you guys for your time & professionalism.

When I stared there are only 3 photos, 3 legitimacja, army pay book & kalendarzyk polskiego czerwonego krzyzy w Palestynie.

1) I made a medalbox with the 3DSK sign on the top.
    Also tried to use the brown color which symbolize the color of the uniform of the 2nd Corp soldiers.

Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross

2) I can restore & approve all absent awwards & also rebuild the original MCC number of my great grandfather:

Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross
    Monte Cassino cross

All awwards are original one, exept Odznaka 81 Pułk Strzelców Grodzieńskich. This is a custom-made replika of the soldiers version, made for participation in historical reconstructions and shooting of historical films. For this moment I coudn't find an original item of Podoficerska version.

3) From the right side inside part of the top cover include informatione about army unit, fullname, army rank & army number. All signs made by pattern in the form of "Choinka"
    On the both sides you can see the copies of the shoulder patches.

Monte Cassino cross

3) Also this medal box include a private pocket for the documents.

Monte Cassino cross

As you can see the first one follows the MCC, before the Medal Wojska. I did it on purpose, because as I know this awward was the most important for my great grandfather. Most part of his stories for my parents were about this battle. Also saw that many veterans wore it first.

Monte Cassino cross

Thank you!

Regards, Valerii

Hi Valerii
    Would the order be correct ? Maybe other members will give the answer.
    As far as I know the Monte Cassino cross was issued as a commemorative medal, but was upgraded (not sure which year ) to a State Decoration, if this is correct then you have the right order.

Kevin