Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery Ring

Article about: Hi, I've recently started researching my late Grandfather's military history - he was a member of 5th Kresowa Infantry - and, alongside his various medals and badges, I came across this ring

Default Mystery Ring

Hi,

I've recently started researching my late Grandfather's military history - he was a member of 5th Kresowa Infantry - and, alongside his various medals and badges, I came across this ring which none of the surviving family has any knowledge of.

Mystery Ring
    Mystery Ring

As you can hopefully see, the stone is semi-opaque and has what appears to be an eagle on a Maltese cross etched into it, as shown below.

Mystery Ring

If anyone can offer any assistance in identifying this ring, I would be most grateful.

Default Re: Mystery Ring

Hello!

This eagle on maltans cross is badge of 16 Pomorski Batalion Piechoty 2nd Warsaw Division.

I see also writing '65 PP'. I think it's 65Pulk Piechoty. There wasn't 65 PP at exile, so i think the thing is pre war unit.

Best Regards

Hello mattygriff and welcome to the forum,

That is a very beautiful ring which bears the motif of the 65th Infantry Regiment. Visible on the side of the ring is “65 PP” (65 Pułk Piechoty; full regiment name: 65 Starogardzki Pułk Piechoty). Pictured below is the regimental badge in enameled officer version (copy) and other ranks (original).

This ring could very well be a souvenir of his pre-war military service. If you have any surviving documents they may very well contain some confirmation of this.

Again, a wonderful item. Thank you for sharing it with us. And feel to post any of the other items from his WW2 service in the 5KDP.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Ring   Mystery Ring  

Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 10-16-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hello!

Ohhh... i neglected abou pre war badge! I think Tony is right!

Best Regards

Hi Michal – we were both posting replies at the same time. While it is certainly possible, I have my doubts that this is an item relating to the 65th Pomeranian Infantry Battalion, which was my fathers unit in the 2nd Corps. Although this battalion did adopt the pre-war badge.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Ring  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Michal - we have to stop cross posting!

Hahahhaha.... Interesting coincidence.

Now i can say only one thing: beautfil ring!

Best regards

Thanks, all, for the replies - interesting stuff. The emblem in the stone certainly looks like the ones that Tony posted so I think we have a match! I am in the process of obtaining his military service records from the UK Ministry of Defence - perhaps these will give a definite answer.

If it makes any difference, my Grandfather originally lived in Warsaw but moved to Gniew in the mid-1930s and then to Glubokoye before the outbreak of WWII.

If anyone has anything more to add, I'd be delighted to hear it.

?

A very nice ring !!!!!

Do you know what age your grandfather was at the outbreak of WW2 ??
    This might help to determine whether he was old enough to be in pre-war unit.

It was quite common for veterans who served in the Polish Army directly prior to WW2, to serve in the exile forces .... IF they got away in time !

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    A very nice ring !!!!!

Do you know what age your grandfather was at the outbreak of WW2 ??
    This might help to determine whether he was old enough to be in pre-war unit.

It was quite common for veterans who served in the Polish Army directly prior to WW2, to serve in the exile forces .... IF they got away in time !

Gary J.
    My grandfather was born in October 1901 so would have been 37 at the start of WWII. My Aunt thinks that he also fought to some degree in WWI although whether this was as part of a formal operation, we don't know.

Being stationed near the Russian border at the outbreak of WWII, he and his family were imprisoned. When the Russians switched sides, they were all released and he spent time in Iran, Palestine, Egypt and Italy.

Not sure any of this is relevant but it's more or less all I know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast