Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Narvik 1940

Article about: THE POLISH ARMY IN THE NORWEGIAN CAMPAIGN 1940 The Norwegian Campaign (9 April to 10 June 1940) was fought in Norway between the Allies and Germany in World War II after the latter's invasio

?

Hi Dabi,

Thank you for these corrections and I agree with what you wrote in most part.

To summarize my previous post I have to clarify that:
    - The set with a sheepskin and helmet cover is indeed a French Chasseur Alpine set, most likely not used by Polish troops
    - The sheepskin naming convention that can be found in the French literature is "peau de moution a manches - dite canadienne" - "sheepskin with sleeves - called Canadian" although the proper name is just "peau de moution a manches".

Also a VERY IMPORTANT disclaimer:
    - Eagle painted on the helmet presented with the cape is just a modern reconstruction made for the presentation purpose
    - The helmet with grey eagle and snow cover as well as the information about grey paint used comes from the militaria seller and it is false information made up to sell a fake item
    These items SHOULD NOT be used as the reference material for any collector and I would suggest the Admin of this forum to remove it.

However I would kindly disagree on some points you made:
    A lot of researchers claim that Polish troops did not received any Chasseur Alpine equipment, but my research shows that they received it at least partially: as you mentioned snowshoes (not used due to the lack of training), but also some interesting pictures as below:

Narvik 1940

Picture signed as: "Polish Red Cross nurse helping Polish soldier during the trip to Narvik." Soldier is wearing Blouson de Skieur Mle 40 (although the dark colour of his beret may suggest he is actually a French Chasseur Alpine)

Narvik 1940

Picture signed as: "Polish Independent Highland Brigade Sailing to Narvik (Bohusz-Szyszko)". Polish captain on the left wears skiing boots Brodequin de skieur Mle 40

Narvik 1940

Picture signed as: "Evacuation of Polish soldiers to France". Polish soldier is sitting on alpine backpack Sac Bergman Lafuma. What is under the backpack looks like a sheepskin.

Narvik 1940

Picture signed: "Polish Troopship MS Chrobry Burning ". Soldiers on the photo wear sheepskins Peau de moution a manches.

Although some of these photos can be just wrongly described, some are certainly depicting Polish troops.

Also, I would like to make a point about denim jackets model 1938. As a rule these were supposed to be issued to the motorized troops, similarly to other motorized equipment. I don't have any infomation about rules in Polish Independent Highland Brigade for utilization of these jacket although they can be seen in on the photos in many units.

Lastly, can you please share the source of information that sheepskin jackets were certainly not issued to the Polish Independent Highland Brigade? Absence of evidence is not the same thing as the evidence of absence and I learned that in the history we should avoid an absolute statements.

Best
    Tom

?

Hi Tom
    Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
    When it comes to the photos, you are of course right. I also have much more knowledge now than when I published this material.
    Many of the photos that I posted on the forum at that time were badly signed. It is my fault, but also the fault of the Imperial Museum and the Sikorski Institute . I analyzed these photos and I managed to explain something.

A photo of a Polish nurse (now I know that it is the sister of the Polish Red Cross, Stefania Gorczyńska). This soldier is probably a French from the Alypean Rifle Communication Platoon who was embarked on S.S. "Chenonceaux" together with Poles. The story of this woman and her companion, Dr. Jadwiga Zielińska, is a topic for a different story. The attitude of Polish soldiers to them is one horror. It's good that general Sikorski finally awarded these brave women with the Cross of Valor.

Narvik 1940

As for mountain equipment, Poles received it, but when it comes to uniforms, they got the famous cloaks (and apparently they obtained mountain boots by exchange)
    The entire brigade was equipped with denim jackets of the 1938 model. This jacket has a fur lining that can be detached and removed for warmth. This soldier probably has this lining under his backpack.

Narvik 1940

As for the burning ocean liner "Chrobry", it is watched by the French, not the Poles.

Other photos are badly described. For example, 3 photos of Poles have already been taken in Scotland, not Norway. A photo of Poles in Norway with a German propaganda board encouraging desertion is very interesting. No one noticed that this photo showed the crew of a French tank that was damaged by a mine. These French, however, continued to fight together with the Polish women, but already on foot, and took a commemorative photo together.

Narvik 1940

Best regards
    Dabi

?

Thank you for quick reply Dabi,

Impressive collection there you have!

If the "denim jackets of the 1938 model" you refer to are what is originally called "paletot imperméabilisé modèle 1938" then there is in fact a separate sheepskin intended to use under the jacket in cold weather ("sous-vetement en peau Mle 1938") but I think it was not a inherent part of the jacket itself. As per the photo you may be right it can be sous-vetement en peau Mle 1938. I still have no evidence that the jackets were issued to everyone , as photo materials rather contradict that thesis. What is your source of information?

I used to hunt for that jacket but the last one I seen on ebay went over 300 EUR plus it was a real joke See for yourself - wooden buttons (instead of "corrozo" buttons) and hemmed underarm vents (instead of metal eyelets). Someone severly overpaid for a most likely post-war manufactured item (certainly after 1940):

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

As for the Stefania Górzyńska and dr. Zielińska some time ago I made my own research and learned some interesting facts. I am interested in what you've foud. Show me yours and I show you mine

?

My information comes from generally available books. About the attitude (primitive, contemptuous, etc.) of the brigade soldiers towards two women. He wrote about it in his memoirs of a man who served in the brigade and took part in the fighting at Narvik. Now I don't remember his name anymore. When I find this book, I will write it.

Colonel Władysław Dec also wrote about these women in an ironic manner in his memoir "Narwik i Falaise". It was he who scornfully wrote that they were decorated with the Crosses of Valor (and this was written by a man who lost communication with the people he commanded during the battles at Narvik, and received a VM anyway). However, thanks to the "malicious" colonel Dec, we know that Stefania Gorczyńska provided food for soldiers fighting in the mountains at night and showed great courage.
    And as for the jackets auctioned on ebay (I also watched this auction), of course it is post-war production or from the end of the war. but now it is practically impossible to buy the original one and the price is not that high at all.

?

Interesting. I never came over this information in any of the several books I read on SBSP.

From what I've found is that dr. Zielińska was known by a nickname of "ciotka Bandziuchowa" ("aunt Bandziuchowa") - after a character from a Polish pre-war comedy broadcast "Wesoła Lwowska Fala" ("Merry Lviv Wave"). She is described as such on Antoni Wasilewski caricature "Janosiki z pod Narwiku". She is also the very first person to be pictured there, so she must have been rather popular, at least among the officer's. After the Narvik expedition she stayed in Scotland at least until late 1941. Somewhere mid-1942 (probably) she departed to Africa, Uganda where Polish refugee camp was set up in Masindi - mostly for Polish women and kids below age 16 (including orphans) evacuated from USSR together with the Anders' Army. She was most likely volunteered in the local hospital there. Below is her photo from that time:

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Stafania Gorczyńska stayed with the Polish Armed Forces, from late-1942 (probably) with 1st Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment, 1PAD, as the regiment's day room staff. Later on she joined a PSK. Information from the 1st Anti-Tank Artillery Regiment wikipedia article mentions two daily orders: On February 27, 1943 Stafania Gorczyńska appointed to the Second Basic Military Training Course at PWSK. On June 1, 1943 Stafania Gorczyńska appointed to the leader function and moved to the PWSK. Although both are incorrect in my opinion as PWSK was created in 1944 (erlier it was just called PSK).

Narvik 1940

?

Very interesting information. thank you.
    Dr. Zielińska in Narvik was to take care of the wounded, but after arriving in Norway, it turned out that the British, who ran a field hospital there, took care of the wounded. Dr. Zielińska had to do something else and ran a military canteen. It was not a safe job because German bombings were in progress.
    It should be emphasized that both women were volunteers and showed really great courage and should be appreciated for it. General Sikorski appreciated their efforts and dedication.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7