Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?

Article about: Hello, I would like you to have a look at these two PAF badges. I am trying to assess if they are original ww2 period made badges. Apart from the chains and spinners which in my opinion are

KRK
    ?

Default PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?

Hello,

I would like you to have a look at these two PAF badges.
    I am trying to assess if they are original ww2 period made badges. Apart from the chains and spinners which in my opinion are not original to these badges, their design seems to be identical to SPINK and SON type. But are they original SPINK badges?

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Regards,
    KRK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?   PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?  

PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?   PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?  

Default Re: PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?

I might be wrong, but I believe that they are Polish pilot wings,and are quite possibly english made. The chain would be original to these wings.

All the best
    Stig Erik

KRK
    ?

Thanks for Stig Erik for his input.

I have no doubt that these are English made badges. I wonder if they were made by Spink&Son (as I mentioned before their design is identical to Spink made badges) or are they post war versions.
    I hope also for opinions of advanced collectors of the Polish Airforce insignia, as this is hard to say only based on the available literature.

Regards,

KRK

Hi KRK,

I don't think either of these are Spink made. The threaded post on Spink products is typically a larger diameter and also has different end machining. Sorry that I cannot offer any more infomation as to when and by whom your badges were manufactured. Hopefully our other members that specialize in air force badges chime in.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?   PAF pilot and radio obserever wings - SPINK ?  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

KRK
    ?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your opinion.
    All the best in the New Year 2013.

Regards,
    KRK

?

KRK,
    I tried comparing your images to known variants of these badges ..

The second images are for the "Radio / Observer" badge, which, with just the two lightning flashes at the front of the Eagle, seem to have only been manufactured by Gaunt.
    However, both Gaunt variants are not flat backed but concaved.

I suspect that an original Gaunt has been used as a model to produce the badge you have, also noticing that the patina is missing from your badge, and seems to be of a more fresh bright brass appearance that has been toned down and deliberately aged.

Gary J.

KRK
    ?

Hi Tony,

Hi Gary J.

Thanks for your opinion.

Regards,
    KRK