Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 60 of 226 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

hello Tony, thought so but I couldn't remember when the crown was reintroduced. I assume '93 was the year ?

Hi Geoff,

The crown was restored to the eagle by the Polish Parliament in 1989. In 1993 the Polish armed forces reinstated the traditional emblems, although slightly modified in their design, hence the wz.93 designation of these revised badges.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

which proves the old adage, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it ". must say though the expression on the eagle's face looks a bit meaner !

Gentlemen

Here is my small contribution to this interesting thread. These have been collected with out any particular scientific methodology as they mostly came with groups I have bought. But I like them and I like the range of variations that exist. I don't know much about eagles so there may be the odd one which shouldn't be included. I have always assumed that the two large ones in the bottom line are pre WW2. And some cloth ones. I believe that the top middle is a variation that was discovered some years ago in Scotland so is post war.

A question I have always wanted to ask is why do some of the eagles have a shield device in the area below the eagle's claws and some not?

Anyway, as ever I welcome comment particularly that helps me with learning more about Polskie Siły Zbrojne na Zachodzie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Hi
    As mentioned – thank You for posting this collection - very impressive set and includes all the “classics”.

Looking at all of them – one clearly stands out – the most on the left in the bottom line – I do not think we have studied it before on the forum
    It would be good to learn more
    1. Can You post detailed pictures of the back and front?
    2. What are the measurements?
    3. What is the material?

I have to say – I have been intrigued by the “small shield” inserted on small Gaunt Eagles too.

I think the origin of this design has the profound political context – the Shield is an integral part of Eagles of Piłsudski’s Legions (1915-1918) – see attached.

It is well known that Gen Sikorski had been in very strong conflict with Pilsudski himself and his supporters (“Sanacia”) – this conflict was very visible from 1926 (after “zamach Majowy”) until well into the WW2 period and thereafter.

The history of this conflict still awaits appropriate historic / professional research. From what I gathered from various sources – both sides played very vicious and dirty games for number of years (inc assassinations / unjust imprisonment / forced exile etc)

My theory is that the Small Gaunt Eagle was designed by somebody who must had been Pilsudski supporter to serve as the “hidden political statement”.

It is interesting as such that it is actually difficult to find pictures of Troops wearing this pattern (from my experience) – I suppose in the “Sikorski’s Army” it could have been difficult to be Pilsudski supporter.

This is en example how the Polish Cap Eagles reflect the spirit of time!.

When it comes to the similar stories – when the “Eagle” became relevant - the good one is as follows.

When the volunteers from USA (23,000 – if I remember) did come to France to from the Blue (gen Haller Army) in 1917/18 – they come with their own Eagles given in the Military Camp Niagara on the Lake. French and some Polish officers requested Eagles to be removed as there was no Poland “officially” – Fellows refused violently with the strike – the Eagle stayed as the official symbol. The Blue Army (and in fact very big 65,000 – if I remember correctly) went to Poland fought bravely in almost all fronts (north, east and south). However, again the politics kicked in – Blue Army was assumed to represent the national movement of Roman Dmowski and Ignacy Paderewski - not necessary in line with Pilsudski. In fact, Dmowski and Paderewski, both fellows are relatively unknown comparing to their contribution for Polish independence in 1918 – but this topic for the next story!.

The “unhappy end” for the Blue Army, and specially volunteers from USA, had been that the same Pilsudski requested them to be transported back home in 1919/20 and they waited in detention camps in large nrs for many month for ships back “home” and in the same time Bolshevicks had been approaching Warsaw.

I guess – what I wanted to say in few paragraphed above- not all is “black and white”, but the good thing is – Eagles have stories!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Here’s an unusual 2DSP hat eagle I’ve had for several years. The one on the left is the type most of us are familiar with, stamped in both magnetic and non-magnetic metal alloy, with a threaded post and domed spinner. The one on the right is die stamped in a non-magnetic alloy with fastening by means of unique metal prongs. The cut out in the area where the eagle's talons rest on the amazon shield also differs.

It remains the one and only example of this type I’ve encountered. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it – period variant, or post war re-strike?

Note: both eagles are of identical dimensions, although the one on the left is vaulted and therefore appears slightly smaller in the head on pics.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Gentlemen

I was asked to post some more detailed photos of the eagle bottom left in the post above.

Here are some more pics. I hope they help.

I should say that the eagle is made of white metal. I haven't polished it or cleaned it so can't tell if it is plated brass. I don't think it is. As you can see the spinner is missing. It came with a group from an armoured regiment if that helps.

Many thanks

James

Fellows
    I have recently come across the very interesting Polish Eagle sold on the Ebay.
    Technically it is G - well known pattern. However, it has an unusual fastening with "2 Prongs" (similar to Eagles by Scully of Canada).
    On this Forum we have discussed a few variants of fastening for G Eagle - but i do not think we have discussed / seen this one.

I have not seen this variant often - seems to me it is relatively rare.

Any impressions how rare it may be?
    Examples of pictures of similar variant?
    Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Fellows
    Pictures attached are the courtesy of my friend from Poland.
    Eagle is believed to be of 10th Hussars.
    We discussed variants of the 10th Hs' Eagle before - but - i think it is very much an open topic still.

What do You think?

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

Fellows,

Pictures of the Eagle recently sold on Ebay .
    Pictures are not good – but it looks like a) interesting variant or b) some sort of repo – I am not sure.,

I think it is worth posting.

Anybody any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Page 60 of 226 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 160 ... LastLast