Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Polish issues Service books

Article about: I mostly collect British issues Army Book 64's - the Soldiers Service & Pay Book, but I always keep an eye out for examples issued to Polish Forces, below are the examples I have managed

?

Thanks for that Rafal, I believe he was 1st Polish Airlanding Light Battery but I'm not sure when.

?

I also have this Polish Air Force book, via a very helpful gent on another forum I got the below

"SOLECKI Sgt Zygmunt Jan P-792899

He was born in Kolomyja on 6th May 1921 and trained as a fitter and turner before his military service which he began in 1937 at Bydgoszcz. He qualified as a wireless operator at Krosno in 1939 but because of the outbreak of war he was evacuated to Romania, crossing at Kuty. He left Romania in December 1939 and made his way via Syria and Lebanon to France where he arrived on 18th January 1940. On the capitulation of France he escaped to England where he arrived on 27th June 1940 and was sent to the Polish Depot at Blackpool. He underwent further wireless and gunnery training and then operational training with 18 OTU.

He was posted in to 304 Squadron on 26th April 1942 at RAF Lindholme where he served until 1st August 1943 and completed his tour of duty before moving to 6OTU as an instructor. On 19th July 1944 he began training with 1651 Heavy Conversion Unit where he trained on four engine heavy bombers before moving on to 1586 (Special Duties) Flight at Brindisi in Italy until the end of the war. After this he moved on to various ferry units and, later, 206, 242 and 242 Transport Squadrons and later he was involved in the Berlin Airlift. Finally he joined 40 Transport Squadron in March 1948 and stayed with them until his demobilisation in October 1948.

He was awarded the Silver Cross of the Order of Virtuti Militari and the Cross of Valour and two bars during his career. This was achieved during 52 operational missions with 304 Squadron and 22 particularly dangerous Special Duties trips with 1586 Flight (301 Squadron).

He settled in Britain and worked in a prominent position in a ship breakers yard until he retired in 1986. He died in Neath, West Glamorgan, Wales on 28th February 2005 and was cremated there."
    Last edited by AB64; 07-09-2019 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

?

Now just got to find a Polish Navy one, I don't think that's an easy task - I think I've only seen one for sale and that was a while ago and from memory came with other bits that pushed the cost over my budget

Hello Alistair,

With regards to St.Sierz Zygmunt Jan Solecki, awarded the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 8452, KW x 4, ML x 4 (ML = Air Force Medal), unfortunately unable to find a photograph of him.

Link to PAF page below :

Solecki Zygmunt Jan - Krzystek's List

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Latest addition 13/O/1905/III Jozef Osoba

?

Latest addition, I've been picking up lots of British books but not Polish

36/W/1902/III Aleksander Wojnicz

Hello AB64,

Starszy szeregowy (Lance Corporal) Aleksander WOJNICZ, Army Number: 1902-36-III, he served in the Supply and Transport Headquarters (Dowództwo Zaoatrywania i Transportu) of the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division (3 DSK), he was a Recipient of the Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 13780

More information regarding st. szer. Aleksander Wojnicz:

Monte Cassino cross

Monte Cassino cross

Regards
    Konrad

?

Thanks for that Konrad, its good to flesh out his details a bit

?

My latest pickup, Eliasz Machnacz 36/M/1900/III/W.Br of 326th Supply Depot - Andrzej mentioned this book in the Monte Cassino Cross thread Monte Cassino cross

?

205/S/1908/III Franciszck Sielicki of 13th Wilenski Battalion - Monte Cassino cross 16026 I believe, I think he was also awarded the Virtuti Militari V & Krzyż Walecznych (not sure if its possible to get details of these) as always any extra details welcome

Unfortunately it doesn't have his photo which is a shame

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast