Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Polish Military Cemeteries

Article about: from my recent visit to Powązki Military Cemetery and The Warsaw Rising Museum may be of some interest to you guys. Enjoy. Best, Kosa

?

A link to posthumous promotion ceremony at Warsaw Uprising Museum on the 17th of September, 2019.

Hello Andrzejku

I did get the pictures in the Loreto cemetery. Will send them to you soon.
    John
    Last edited by wayupnorth; 09-29-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

Oosterbeek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Military Cemeteries  

Hello everyone,

I would like to show you a grave of St. Szer. Jan Turlej, Born 27th January 1909 the son of Józef Turlej, he served in the Military Police in the 2nd Corps, he did not serve at Monte Cassino and after the end of the war he came to the UK and was residing at Iscoyd Park Block 7, Near Whitchurch Salop. He died on the 24th May 1951 and was buried on the 26th May 1951 in grave Number 10998 with his wife Maria at the Wrexham Cemetery.

Iscoyd Park housed 1 of 3 Polish hospital sites near Wrexham. It looked after patients with Tuberculosis and mental health problems. The site was open till 1956. Jan Turlej was only 42 years old, so it is likely that TB was the cause of his death.

Some background information about the Wrexham Cemetery. There are over 1200 Polish people buried there out of a total of 38,000. This is high number for any cemetery in Britain.

Please find also enclosed picture of the medal set. Those in the red frame belonged to the soldier Jan Turlej.

Pictures of the Jan Turlej's grave courtesy of John Whittaker - Cemetery Development Officer

Best regards
    Konrad
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Military Cemeteries   Polish Military Cemeteries  

Polish Military Cemeteries   Polish Military Cemeteries  

Last edited by conrado; 10-16-2019 at 08:47 PM.

I think it is common knowledge in the UK but to add to the thread;

There is much evidence of Polish military service during WWII still in UK today. Particularly in Scotland Polish surnames are rather common and Voitek the Soldier bear ended his days in Edinburgh zoo where he is commemorated.

Where I grew up in the North of England there were many "White Eagle" clubs of the Polish Royal Air Force Association and as to the subject of the thread there are many Polish war graves around the country.
    Brookwood Military Cemetery in Surrey has graves in sections from many allied countries and this is a picture of the memorial in the Polish section;

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-16-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Not that I am trying to prove you wrong or undermine polish service to the UK

but polish surnames aren’t that common in Scotland. A lot of them I think “Anglified” their last names. A relative on other side of my family had a dad who was polish and came across in ww2 and changed his last name later on. To fit in of course.

There is certainly a lot of modern polish working immigrants in Scotland in the likes of Peterhead and Fraserburgh (where there are now shops dedicated to Eastern European foods and stuff even in the likes of Tesco.) but this doesn’t bother me but most modern polish names probably come from new migrants.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Not that I am trying to prove you wrong or undermine polish service to the UK

but polish surnames aren’t that common in Scotland. A lot of them I think “Anglified” their last names. A relative on other side of my family had a dad who was polish and came across in ww2 and changed his last name later on. To fit in of course.

There is certainly a lot of modern polish working immigrants in Scotland in the likes of Peterhead and Fraserburgh (where there are now shops dedicated to Eastern European foods and stuff even in the likes of Tesco.) but this doesn’t bother me but most modern polish names probably come from new migrants.
    I was not going to reply to this as it seems to be heading far away from the topic.
    However, in the end I felt it neccessary to address a potential misunderstanding.

In my experience Polish surmames are relatively common in Scotland and this has very little to do with the current EU citizens presently living there under the latest free movement rules.

There has been a significant Polish community in Scotland since medieval times but more recently, following the end of WWII thousands of Polish servicemen and some civilians settled in Scotland after the failures of the Yalta Conference agreements and the actions of Stalin.

There are still concentrations of the Polish diaspora in places such as; Edinburgh. Glasgow, Falkirk Dundee and Kirkaldy, mainly resulting from wartime military locations.

When I served in Edinburgh '77 - '79 I had amongst my colleagues several descendants of these very people. These included such names as; Ostrowski, Maliska, Skibinski, Kaminski. Drozhdal (not sure if she was of Polish descent to be fair) and even a Sikorski. These were all Scots and serving in a company sized unit. Just to re-iterate, all thes people were born in Scotland to Polish parents and being my peers were all born around 1955 - 1960 so long before any effect of the EU.

Sorry to go off topic but felt I had to explain my point.

Regards

Mark

These Poles did not anglicise their surnames but most substituted Tadeusz with Edward or Jerzy with George etc
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hello Everyone,

Remember that "Bonnie" Prince Charlie was married to King Jan III Sobieski's Daughter, Maria Clementina Sobieska.

So Poland and Scotland share a long History together.

Sto lat

Andrzej

?

Sorry if it came across as if i was disagreeing we have a long history together.

I guess i just live in a bit of scotland not too many decided to stay in. Suppose they just preferred to stay in south part of scotland rather than north east.

?

Hello everyone,

For your viewing pleasure I am posting a photo of Katarzyna Borowinska’s (see post #3, #37, #49) stepbrother Erazm Borowinski aka Wars, who fought in the 1944 Warsaw Uprisinig as well. The photo was taken in Ancona, Italy around 1946.
    During WW2 Erazm was a member of the Home Army Signals in the rank of Corporal Cadet. He was a Radio Telegraphist during the 1944 Warsaw Uprising and he fought in the Śródmiecie Połundniowe district of Warsaw. As of the 1st of October 1944 he was awarded the Cross of Valour, and was promoted to the rank of Cadet Sergant.
    Upon the capitulation of the city he was transported to a POW camp in Germany. Erazm jonined the 2nd Polish Corps after the POW camp had been liberated in 1945. Discharged from the 2nd Polish Corps in 1947 he eventually settled in Australia and died there.

P.S. Andrzejku perhaps you can find his Army Number and other valuable information on him. Thank you.

Regards,
    Kosa
    Last edited by kosa; 04-06-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast