Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Polish Military Mission in Canada during WW2

Article about: Posted below are photographs of a young recruit named Zdzisław Gajewski in battledress. The back of the photo is dated April 18, 1942 along with the note “youngest volunteer – 16 years

Hello Tony,

I found the following photographs in the Archives of the Pilsudski Museum and thought that you might like to see them :

General Duch with Canadian Troops (Click to enlarge the photographs in a new page)

Best wishes

Andrzej

dbecker
    ?

Greg,

I happened to come across your photos while doing a little googling on my Grandfather -- Edward Borowicz. I will try to dig up more photos to share as he had many, and if you have more, please share them. I wanted to share these photos of a recent plaque that was given to my Mom. The Center for Military Studies has been researching the contributions of the Polish Armored Division, among other things, during WWII and has put together this plaque to commemorate my Grandfather. My family and I will be attending an honorary event in NYC later this year (date TBD) for him at the CMS (I think).

"During the Second World War, Captain Borowicz, then a Lieutenant commanding the antitank platoon of 8th Battalion, 1st Polish Armor Division received his nations highest award for valor. The Virtuti Militari Medal is the equivalent of the U.S. Medal of Honor and was awarded to him for his actions during the campaign in the Netherlands against the Germans. During a particularly brutal battle to establish a bridgehead over the Mark Canal, losses were so high, the unit earned the nickname the "bloody shirts". His actions in taking his objective despite great odds and rallying his men while wounded against a heavily fortified enemy resulted in victory and subsequent VM.

Above on the far right is the Virtuti Militari Medal, on the immediate right is the 8th Infantry Battalion Badge.

The above are Duplicates as the originals are in the collection of the Center for Military Studies and displayed in the CMS Annex at the Polish American Museum, Port Washington, NY."

Welcome
    Respect - is the right word here, I think

[QUOTE=dbecker;1952926]Greg,

I happened to come across your photos while doing a little googling on my Grandfather -- Edward Borowicz. I will try to dig up more photos to share as he had many, and if you have more, please share them. I wanted to share these photos of a recent plaque that was given to my Mom. The Center for Military Studies has been researching the contributions of the Polish Armored Division, among other things, during WWII and has put together this plaque to commemorate my Grandfather. My family and I will be attending an honorary event in NYC later this year (date TBD) for him at the CMS (I think).

[I]"During the Second World War, Captain Borowicz, then a Lieutenant commanding the antitank platoon of 8th Battalion, 1st Polish Armor Division received his nations highest award for valor. The Virtuti Militari Medal is the equivalent of the U.S. Medal of Honor and was awarded to him for his actions during the campaign in the Netherlands against the Germans. During a particularly brutal battle to establish a bridgehead over the Mark Canal, losses were so high, the unit earned the nickname the "bloody shirts". His actions in taking his objective despite great odds and rallying his men while wounded against a heavily fortified enemy resulted in victory and subsequent VM.

Above on the far right is the Virtuti Militari Medal, on the immediate right is the 8th Infantry Battalion Badge.

The above are Duplicates as the originals are in the collection of the Center for Military Studies and displayed in the CMS Annex at the Polish American Museum, Port Washington,

Hello dbecker, thanks for your post, and welcome aboard.

Is it safe to assume that your post on this thread suggests that your grandfather joined the Polish Army via the Recruitment Mission in North America?

Quote by dbecker View Post
    . . . The above are Duplicates as the originals are in the collection of the Center for Military Studies and displayed in the CMS Annex at the Polish American Museum, Port Washington, NY."[/I]
    All of us here would very much like see the original cross and badge. Please do post images if you have them.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

In the PDF from the Owen Sound Museum (Billy Bishop) there is a list of the personnel in the camp. Number 600 is listed as Antoni Tarasek as a rifleman. There is nothing as to origin but he was there for training. This site gives a fair amount of information on the Owen Sound part of the operation. Also for general knowledge on this topic SWODA Windsor which is a part of the U of Windsor has the complete Fighting Poland issues. Gary

It this the whole mission of Gen. Duch?
    First from the right is LtC Tysowski.

Rafal

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9