Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish pilot uniform

Article about: is it original? What do You think about it? do You know the tailor or cap maker Sorry for the pictures, i'm very busy now, next time i will put them correctly. Regards

Default Polish pilot uniform

is it original? What do You think about it? do You know the tailor or cap maker
    Sorry for the pictures, i'm very busy now, next time i will put them correctly.
    Regards

?

Not much to go on unfortunately ..... Of note, his medals .... Africa and Air Crew Europe Star ..... Points towards Bomber rather than fighter operations ..

RAF pilot wings appear to be Canadian flat style, the tunic being of Canadian manufacture ( link ). the British medal ribbons are in the wrong order, the Aircrew Europe Star alongside the Polish Cross of Valour, in preference to being after the 1939-1945 Star. However, being a Pole he may have attached greater importance to the ACE and given it precedence. the Alkit label in the cap indicates postwar traits. the cloth underside of the peak is also a postwar pointer. this is an observation and not gospel, amen.

I think it is a Veteran made up piece, the shoulder titles in bullion are odd in this use, the ribbons are indeed out of order, polish ones should be first followed by RAF in correct order, but vets often screw this up. The cap is missing its badge but the under brim is fine, cloth was very common on wartime caps under brim as they were cheaper to purchase and easier to make. The buttons look like PAF ones versus RAF, but I would expect to the wings on the left to be Polish AF and the RAF wings on the right breast as the Polish Air Force was an autonomous in exile and they were not RAF pilots first,but shared qualifications.

Here is an example of one from an old auction listing I saved for reference. There are variations with more Polish insignia and less RAF, usually Polish collar tabs for rank etc.

Overall, if it is cheap, buy it with an asterisk next to it that it has some good elements but is not altogether correct for wartime wear and use and wait for a better one.

There is another thread on the site of a PAF pilots album that has fabulous shots of PAF uniforms in wear on station, out on the town and at awards ceremonies.

Polish pilot uniform