Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Polish RAF Tunic...

Article about: Hi Dzyner, It’s just about impossible authenticating uniform tunics based on pictures alone. Nonetheless, the tunic itself has correct WW2 era cut and fabric. I can’t quite make out the date

Default Re: Polish RAF Tunic...

Hi Dzyner,

It’s just about impossible authenticating uniform tunics based on pictures alone. Nonetheless, the tunic itself has correct WW2 era cut and fabric. I can’t quite make out the date on the tag – 1943?

The Poles displayed the RAF wing on both sides. The pics posted thus far show it on the left side, and Stanislaw is correct that this is the most common side it was mounted on. Posted below is a period photo of 306th Toruński Sqn Ldr Włodzimierz Karkowski with his wing above the right breast pocket.

There was a comment on the width of the ribbon bar segments. They are ‘taller’ than the norm, but there’s no real problem here. Ribbon bar size and application was often up to the uniform owner. The various decorations themselves are appropriate, although the order is arguably incorrect.

The Polish pilot’s wing is impossible to assess from such poor pictures. I would demand better quality pictures from the seller if they are serious about selling the item. There’s no excuse for providing such weak pictures, except, of course if there is something to hide.

As far as purchase, speaking for myself only I would not be interested unless solid provenance was provided linking this to a veteran. I would need to know the name of the original owner, and it would need to be accompanied with additional evidence positively linking it to that veteran. In its present condition it is worth only the sum of its parts, some of which remain to be authenticated.

As presented here there is nothing that makes it particularly desirable. Such a piece could easily be put together. I would pass.

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish RAF Tunic... 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    The link doesn’t work for some reason, but that would indeed be a sharp price. Any chance you can post some pics for us Stefan?

Also, the dagger pictured is a post war communist era pattern. I don’t recall ever seeing a dagger worn by a member of the PSZ air force.

Regards,
    Tony
    The link is : WWII RAF uniform to a Polish warrant officer...|Toys & Militaria|Mullock's Auctions
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks Stefan. Now just to figure out how to see more pictures, or maybe this is the the only one . . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish RAF Tunic...  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Greetings,

I would have to agree with Tony on all aspects.
    There are a couple of things that concern me with respect to this tunic.
    1- there are no national Poland tabs on the shoulders which I have seen on the majority of this style of tunic. (I was given a battledress from a PAF VM in Toronto which does not have the POLAND tabs. He did say however that they often flew without the tabs in case they were shot down)

2-The PAF did have their own distinctive collar rank tabs which are absent on this tunic. I have not seen any photos of the commonwealth style warrant officer rank worn on Polish tunic. We have seen the seargent chevrons and propellor stye ranks worn for the lower ranks.

3- If this is indeed a complete group from the same pilot, then the cap does not match as it has the RAF band and insignia and not the distinctive PAF one that was invariable seen in most photos.. i would find it strange that the pilot was wearing an RAF insignia on his cap as late as 1943.

?

Sorry, didnt quite finish,

Any tunic or other item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. PAF tunics are extremely rare as are navy tunics and I can't remember the last time I saw one come up, although I am sheltered way up here in the land of ice and snow.
    As Tony has said it is at least worth the sum of the parts if it is put together and this is only something that you can tell only by actually looking at the tunic in person.
    Although they are rare, there are too many points that concern me about this tunic (too many qeustions) and I would let it pass also.

Mike

?

I must admit that although im not well up on Polish uniforms, i was under the impression that Polish aircrew would wear ordinary rank insignia but not that of an English warrant officer, perhaps someone can correct me

?

Greetings,

i looked and looked and looked, but somehow it continues to elude me. I was unable to find my PAF rank insignia diagram, someone of there must have one. The one that i did find was for the women's services which would be similar.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish RAF Tunic...  

Any chance of an update regarding what happened with the tunic that started this thread...? The pilot badge looked really promising, possibly being a pre-war made badge!
    /Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2