Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Polish ring 1940

Article about: Hi guys; A friend of mine, found this ring while he was searching with a metal detector in Nottinghamshire/ England... It is 1940 dated (19 on one side and 40 on the other) and in the front

Hello odcecki,

I can add that on the photo of your grandfather you have posted you can see two medal ribbons above the pocket on the right side: the 1st from the left is a ribbon of the Bronze Cross of Merit with Swords and the 2nd one is the Monte Cassino Cross.

Regards
    Konrad

Hello Odcecki,

I have looked at the Register once more and found that your Grandfathers Surname was misspelt in the Register.

The Original Entry from page numbered 159 :

Polish ring 1940

Entry Number 8577 is for Kan, Otcecki Józef, 1925/5/III 3KPAPL Monte Cassino Cross Numbered 9678, which we now know is an entry that has a misspelt Surname.

I hope that this answers your question, I will write to the PISM and point this mistake out if they do not already know.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello there Odcecki!

As you can see according to the post of Andrzej #20
    first document are not the Legitymacja card for the Cross of Merit. Looks like your family already made a request to the Ministry of Defence (Polish department) in the past & got a two pages reply which called "the statements of service". From the Andrzej's previous post, which describe two pages reply I'm attaching an example of it for your observe:

Polish ring 1940
    Polish ring 1940

I Think that your family didn't know that except of statements of service it is also possible to get a copy of original service army records which describe all details of your grandfather's military service. If you want, you still able to do that.

According last information from MOD looks like they don't send the statements of service any more.
    It is only possible to get copies or certified copies for the official porpoises.
    I have attached confirmation of that from the main employee of MOD Polish department Mrs Margaret Goddard:

Dear Mr Gaevskii,
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    Please be aware that most documents in the service records are in Polish and we provide photocopies of the documents only. Please let me know if you need them having certified for official purpose.
    We do not make the statements of service any more.

I hope this is helpful.
    Best regards, Mrs Margaret Goddard

MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
    APC DISCLOSURES 5 (POLISH)
    Building 1 (Ops), RAF Northolt
    West End Road
    Ruislip, Middlesex HA4 6NG
    Tel.: 020 8833 8603
    Mil.: 95233 8603

Also MOD confirmed that your grand father was awarded by Polish Army Medal, but according to your first photo looks like it was not issued to him in the past.

If you want to know a little bit more about this award I advise you inspect the Poland Army Medal for War 1939-1945 topic(please click the link), which include a lot of interesting information about this award.

Regards, Valerii

Also I have found you approval post which, include some information about your grandmother, whom was exiled to Siberia.
    As you said earlier she got the Siberian Exiles Cross (Krzyż Zesłańców Sybiru). Do you know something more about that and how does she get it? May be is it also possible post some photos with the congratulatory letter from the Polish Government or may be some copy of Legitymacja for it?
    Thank you!

Regards, Valerii

Good morning
    I wonder if there is a list of those decorated with the Cross of Merit and the Cross of Merit with swords? 5th Kresowa Infantry Division?
    Thank you - greetings to everyone on the forum.

Hello Militor,

Many thanks for your post and in answer to your question, the answer is yes there is a list of those 2nd Corps Soldiers awarded the KZzM in the various grades (Gold, Silver and Bronze) these are held at the PISM in London which is closed at the present time.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3