Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade

Article about: This week I went on the trail of the 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade

Default On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade

This week I went on the trail of the 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade who were based in the beautiful market town of Stamford, Lincolnshire prior to parachuting into Arnhem during Operation Market Garden 1944.
    Also there was an fascination exhibition to their leader General Stanislaw Sosabowski (played brilliantly by actor Gene Hackman in the movie ‘A Bridge Too Far’)
    Some of the buildings still standing in the town are Sosabowski’s Head Quarters, Officers Mess and Medical Unit. Most of the paratroops were billeted in family homes or outlying camps.
    In September 1944 the brigade, attached to the British 1st Airborne Division took part in the assault to capture the Rhine crossings at Arnhem.
    Part of the brigade was lost during contested landings. However the brigade's 2nd Battalion and elements of the 3rd dropped at Driel, opposite Arnhem on the south bank of the Lower Rhine on 23 September. This caused a radical dislocation of the German siege around the cut off 1st Airborne Division in Oosterbeek, ensuring its further survival by a few more days.
    Having established a ‘hedgehog’ defensive perimeter on the south bank the Poles managed to ferry 200 paratroopers across the river to support the Oosterbeek defence. They covered the withdrawal of the 1st Airborne Division during the night of 25/26 September, after being reached by the advance elements of the approaching British XXX Corps ground advance. The brigade lost 23% of its fighting strength, which amounted to 400 casualties.
    Maj Gen Sosabowski, was controversially removed from command in December 1944, following sustained criticism by Lt Gen Browning, with whom Sosabowski had an acrimonious relationship. This treatment of Sosabowski, and by implication 1st Polish Para Brigade, was considered to be an injustice by many of the British airborne veterans who served and fought alongside the Poles in WW2.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade   On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade  

On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade   On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade  

On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade   On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade  

On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

MoreOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeOn the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute BrigadeA few more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of 1st Independent Polish Parachute Brigade