Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Valour Cross and Monte Cassino Cross group

Article about: Gentlemen I have just acquired this group that belonged to a Bronislaw Golas. This all comes together from his niece so I am assuming that the flashes, 2 Korpus and medals are correct but ho

Default Re: Valour Cross and Monte Cassino Cross group

thank you for this info, Andrzejku. I am surprised by his date of birth from the military records! We were told by him that he was born in 1922. Later his older sister told Dad and the rest of us that Dad was wrong and was born in 1921! He was not pleased by that. Now we see 1919! I suspect that is what he told the military after he was released from Russian prison camp and marched to join the British 8th. I understand the younger ones often increased their age a bit and that would fit. The Monte Cassino records agree with the number on the medal and the Legitimacy card which is in the frame as well.

Thanks for the response, James. I do know about how he started. He actually spent two years in a Russian prison camp (Starobielsk) and was released when Germans invaded Russia, marched and hooked up with the Brits. He actually found a picture of himself taken at the end of the march in a book in Britain after the war. I have that picture in my collection. He arrived in the camp right after it had been emptied of Polish officers who were murdered at Katyn. I wrote my university thesis on Katyn in 1982 using my father as a primary source.
    Many thanks for your help James

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Wayupnorth,

Welcome to the Forum, from the Monte Cassino Cross Recipients I was able to glean the following information on your Father:

Surname: SOLSKI

Christian Name: Jozef

Date of Birth: 1919

Army Number (also found on his ID Tags): 1919/319/III

Monte Cassino Cross Numbered: 30840

Unit: z Pulku 6 Pancernego (6th Armoured Regiment (Children of Lwow), 2nd Armoured Brigade (later Division).

Unfortunately I could not find him listed in 4Ppanc. (4th Armoured Regiment).

I hope that the above helps a little.

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    I couldn't find him in 4Ppanc either, so maybe the Skorpion collar pennon was a gift from a comrade rather than for service in 4Ppanc, or similar scenario.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks for the help, 4th. This is good to know, especially the unit information. My father was from a village called Chorostokow which was near Tarnopol and Lwow, so it makes sense he was placed in "Children of Lwow". Your guess regarding the scorpion pin is as good as mine!

Hi wayupnorth,

Are you a member of the Kresy-Siberia group?

Kresy-Siberia Group and Foundation

http://kresy-siberia.org/people-of-t...-second-corps/

If not, certainly worth joining as there may even be members families with connections to "Children of Lwow".

Would you consider posting your "Katyn" thesis... I for one would be very interested to read it and am sure others here would also feel the same.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

thanks for the link, 4th. I shall spend some time looking through that site tomorrow. I will see if I can locate my thesis. If I can find it, I will post it. It is actually typewritten, being done before the invention of word processors. I will scan and try to upload it.

Hello wayupnorth, and welcome aboard. Thanks for becoming a WRF club member and supporting the forum. cool militaria

Quote by wayupnorth View Post
    Attachment 442978 . . . I recently had my father's medals mounted into a shadowbox. I'm quite pleased with it even though I now know there is an error in how the arm flash is placed. I believe he may be missing some medals. . . .
    The display looks super, although I’d definitely get that 2WDP insignia rotated right side up. While you are inside the display you should also flip the Cross of Valour to face the other way. At present the reverse is showing.

The chaps here have done a good job answering your questions, and James replied correctly about your father's decoration entitlement. But there is one item missing. The "Odznaki Za Rany" document in the center authorizes your father to display the wound badge for suffering combat injury. This badge, actually a ribbon bar segment with the colours of the Virtuti Militari, was worn above the ribbon bar. The one shown here with two stars denotes two wounds:

Here is other uniform insignia worn by soldiers of the 6th “Children of Lwow” Armoured Regiment – left to right: Polish 2nd Corps ‘syrenka’, 2nd Corps Commemorative, beret insignia, regimental badge.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi Wayupnorth,

Many thanks for your reply, I checked the Index of Victims of Soviet Repression, and found 2 Jozef Solski's, the first born in 1904 and the second born in 1920, the son of Piotr (Peter).

This Jozef Solski was arrested in Sapozyn on the 17th September 1939 by the Russians, 25th May 1940 he was in a Camp at Rowne Lwow then moved onto a Camp at Krzywy Rog, and after the german invasion of Russia was released and joined the Anders Army at Tockoje on the 2nd September 1941.

Is this Jozef your Father, if so we have another change of Date of Birth.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi Wayupnorth
    I'm so glad you were able to find out so much about your father's journey before he became part of the 2nd Polish Corps. Such brave men, women and children who remained so loyal to the allied cause despite the terrible experiences and the less than satisfactory political outcome.

I'm not sure if you know this but the 8th Army Shield - below the up-side-down 2nd Armoured Division badge was awarded to the Polish 2nd Corps after the battle of Monte Cassino in recognition of their collective bravery and success.

This has turned out to be a very interesting thread.

Quote by wayupnorth View Post
    Thanks for the response, James. I do know about how he started. He actually spent two years in a Russian prison camp (Starobielsk) and was released when Germans invaded Russia, marched and hooked up with the Brits. He actually found a picture of himself taken at the end of the march in a book in Britain after the war. I have that picture in my collection. He arrived in the camp right after it had been emptied of Polish officers who were murdered at Katyn. I wrote my university thesis on Katyn in 1982 using my father as a primary source.
    Many thanks for your help James

thanks so much for this great information. I suspect that Jozef is indeed Dad. I know his father was Peter and that is my middle name.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast